The flowers are blooming! Asparagus is sprouting! Spring is in the air! To celebrate the season, I’m sharing a few of my favorite vegetarian spring recipes featuring that vibrant seasonal spring produce.
Before we jump into the recipes, here are a few vegetables that are in season during the spring to inspire your cooking!
- Asparagus: Steamed, grilled, roasted, or even microwaved. Make sure you take advantage of asparagus season this spring!
- Artichoke: While you can find canned artichoke hearts year round, fresh artichoke is at its peak from March to May.
- Broccoli: Look for a head that’s heavy with closely compact, small buds.
- Carrots: Carrots are in season both in the spring and in the fall. Try out a new variety from your local farmer’s market – they come in many shapes and colors!
- Delicate Herbs: Tender herbs like chives, parsley, and basil start popping up in the spring.
- Peas: While frozen peas will get you through winter, pick up fresh seasonal peas in April.
- Radishes: Add some popping pink to your salads, tacos, or sandwiches all spring long.
- Rhubarb: Technically a vegetable, we like to stock (err…stalk) up on rhubarb in the spring, storing it in the freezer for future pies!
- Watercress: Give this unique leafy green a try while it’s in season this spring.