In need of a quick summer side dish recipe that’s filling and delicious? (I mean, how can you say no to that?) Today we’re whipping up a chickpea salad that’s bursting with veggies and herbs, and tied together with a spiced Greek yogurt dressing.
We’re in the height of salads-that-aren’t-salads season, meaning I’ve made Zucchini Corn Salad no less than five times already. But I was craving a salad with a little more substance when I schemed up this recipe. Something filling with some protein, lots of vegetables, and a creamy sauce holding it all together.
And when it’s easy, filling protein I’m looking for, my instinct pulls me towards the can of chickpeas. Delicious and nutritious chickpeas pair perfectly with the sweet corn and spiced yogurt dressing.
Ingredients for chickpea salad
You just need a handful of ingredients to throw together this hearty chickpea salad.
- Corn: I sometimes like to cook the corn before mixing it into the salad to give it a deeper sweetness and a bit of char (but in a time crunch, not cooking required!)
- Chickpeas: Filling and full of fiber, chickpeas will make this salad a meal in itself.
- Bell Pepper: Any color bell pepper adds fresh crunch to this salad.
- Flavor Makers: We’ll flavor it up with finely diced red onion, sliced green onion, and fresh parsley.
- Feta: No summery salad is really complete without some zingy feta cheese, right?
- Dressing: We’ll wrap it all together with a quick dressing made from Greek yogurt, lime juice, smoked paprika, cumin, and garlic
How To Make Chickpea Salad
Making this easy garbanzo bean salad is stupid easy. There are just three steps:
Can you eat raw corn?
We’re using canned corn here, which has been cooked previously. If you wanted to, you could use raw corn from the cob! Or saute it on the stove briefly to bring out its natural sweetness. The options are endless!
Step 2: Dressing
Then you’ll whip up an easy yogurt garlic sauce that is going to trans-form that bowl of vegetables into some amazingness. Eat it alone, or on tacos, or on sandwiches, or with a spoon (there’s no judging here).
Step 3: Assemble
Gently fold the dressing into the chickpea salad mixture. Serve room temperature or chilled!
Tips & Tricks
- Storage: This chickpea salad store remarkably well in the fridge, making it great for vegetarian meal prep. Just keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Add-Ins: This recipe is easily customizable. It’s great with the addition of olives, cucumber, carrots, cooked zucchini, or beans!
- Make It Vegan: Make this recipe vegan by using a dairy-free yogurt in place of the Greek yogurt.
summertime favorite Pairing Ideas
This chickpea salad is great anytime of the year, but it pairs particularly well with these summertime favorites!
- Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Grilled Watermelon Salad
- Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
- BBQ Pulled “Pork” Mushrooms
- 1 15-oz can corn 425 g, drained
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas 425 g, drained
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion 40 g
- ½ cup chopped green onions 50 g
- ½ cup chopped parsley 40 g
- ½ cup crumbled feta 80 g
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt 120 g
- 1 Tbsp lime juice 15 mL
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp each cumin, salt, pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salad: In a large bowl, toss together all Chickpea Salad ingredients
- Dressing: In a separate bowl, mix together all dressing ingredients.
- Assemble: Drizzle over salad and toss to evenly combine. Serve room temperature or chilled.