In need of a quick summer side dish recipe that’s filling and delicious? (I mean, how can you say no to that?) Today we’re whipping up a Chickpea Corn Salad that’s bursting with veggies and herbs, and tied together with a spiced Greek yogurt dressing.
We’re in the height of BBQ season, meaning I’ve made Zucchini Corn Salad no less than five times already. But I was craving a salad with a little more substance when I schemed up this recipe. Something filling with some protein, lots of vegetables, and a creamy sauce holding it all together.
And when it’s easy, filling protein I’m looking for, my instinct pulls me towards the can of chickpeas. But with it being our corn spotlight and all, we’re throwing in some corn for that sweet summertime flavor!
Ingredients for this chickpea salad
- Corn: I like to cook the corn before mixing it into the salad to give it a deeper sweetness and a bit of char.
- Chickpeas: Filling and full of fiber, chickpeas will make this salad a meal in itself.
- Bell Pepper: Any color bell pepper adds fresh crunch to this salad.
- Flavor Makers: We’ll flavor it up with finely diced red onion, sliced green onion, and fresh parsley.
- Feta: No summery salad is really complete without some zingy feta cheese, right?
- Dressing: We’ll wrap it all together with a quick dressing made from Greek yogurt, lime juice, smoked paprika, cumin, and garlic
Just a few minutes on the stove brings out the naturally deep, sweetness of corn. Cook just until it begins to brown, then mix in a big serving bowl with the rest of the veggies and feta.
Then you’ll whip up an easy yogurt garlic sauce that is going to trans-form that bowl of vegetables into some amazingness. Eat it alone, or on tacos, or on sandwiches, or with a spoon (there’s no judging here).
Pair this chickpea salad with our summertime favorites
- Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Grilled Watermelon Salad
- Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
- BBQ Pulled “Pork” Mushrooms
Chickpea Corn Salad
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil 15 mL
- 1 15-oz can corn 425 g, drained
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas 425 g, drained
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion 40 g
- ½ cup chopped green onions 50 g
- ½ cup chopped parsley 40 g
- ½ cup crumbled feta 80 g
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt 120 g
- 1 Tbsp lime juice 15 mL
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp each cumin, salt, pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Cook Corn*: Heat oil in a saute pan on the stove over medium/high heat. Add corn and cook, stirring frequently, until corn begins to brown on the edges, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble Salad: In a large bowl, toss together cooked corn and the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Make Dressing: In a separate bowl, mix together all dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad and toss to evenly combine. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Tricks
I originally posted this recipe over on Amanda’s Cookin’, where I’m a contributor.