While winter cuisine isn’t quite as easily categorized as the pumpkin filled fall or watermelon packed summer, it’s a season with its own cuisine. So burrow up with a cozy soup or tackle that food project you’ve been wanting to try with these 17 cool weather recipes!
Winter Fruits and Vegetables
Before we get into the recipes, let’s take a peak at what fruits and vegetables are in season throughout the cooler winter months.
- Brussels Sprouts: Keep these miniature cabbages in your rotation all fall and winter long (they’ll keep in the fridge for about a week).
- Butternut Squash: Safe to say most squash hits its stride in the fall, continuing through the winter, butternut squash and pumpkin included! Store them somewhere cool (like the basement), where they’ll last all winter long.
- Cabbage: A nutritional powerhouse that’s closely related to other winter veggies (like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and kale!)
- Cauliflower: Look for cauliflower with compact white curds and store it in the fridge for up to a week. Great roasted or in soups!
- Citrus: Brighten up winter with citrus fruit, like orange, lemon, or limes.
- Kale: Dark leafy greens like kale are at their peak in the winter.
- Pears: All the different varieties of pears make them perfect for eating at every meal! Bake them into sweets or slice them into salads.
- Pomegranate: Pick a pomegranate that’s heavy for its size (pro tip: work the seeds out of the pomegranate while you have it submerged in a bowl of water – less mess!)
- Sweet Potato: While all potatoes are a great winter produce, sweet potatoes are our favorite around here for the added beta-carotene!
Vegetarian Winter Recipes
17 of our favorite easy vegetarian winter recipes featuring seasonal produce and an array of cozy dishes, from hearty salads to cool weather dinners!
Quinoa Kale Salad
This Mediterranean-inspired Quinoa Kale Salad recipe is filled with flavor and drizzled with a citrusy honey mustard dressing! Perfect for packing vitamins into these dark winter days.
Chickpea Tikka Masala
This Chickpea Tikka Masala recipe is an easy dinner to whip up when the Indian food cravings hit (plus, it’s vegan!) Warm, cozy, and perfect for cold winter weeknights.
Easy Chickpea Pot Pie
This Easy Chickpea Pot Pie is packed with a creamy vegetable filling and wrapped in a buttery crust (and best of all, you just need one pan to make it)! Your vegetarian dinner just got a lot less boring.
Roasted Chickpea Gyros
This Roasted Chickpea Gyros recipe is an easy vegetarian dinner for feeding everyone on busy weeknights!
Quinoa Vegetable Soup
This Quinoa Vegetable Soup is a bone-warming brothy soup that has the flavors of chicken noodle soup with the healthy-ness of vegetable soup (and it whips up in under 30 minutes!)
Easy Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup
This Easy Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup has a handful of ingredients and requires almost no prep time (plus, it’s vegan!)
Roasted Butternut Chickpea Hummus Wraps
Spicy, savory flavor all wrapped up in warm flatbreads is the name of the game with these Roasted Butternut Chickpea Hummus Wraps!
Pumpkin Soup with Smoky Roasted Chickpeas
This pumpkin soup is topped with smoky roasted chickpeas and fresh thyme, making it the ultimate cozy autumn recipe for busy weeknights!
Sweet Potato Fettuccine in Gorgonzola Sauce
This Sweet Potato Fettuccine recipe is tossed in gorgonzola and cranberries to create a decadent, gluten-free pasta dish that’s full of flavor.
Beet Pesto Pizza with Goat Cheese and Kale
Step up your pizza game with this Beet Pesto Pizza with Goat Cheese and Kale, a decadent yet healthy pizza that’s packed with nutritious flavor.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Vegan Bacon
These caramelized oven roasted Brussels sprouts are cooked with smoky vegan bacon (made with mushrooms), making for a delicious dinner side dish that everyone is going to love.
20 Minute Taco Soup
I am about to impart on you the recipe to my favorite comfort food. My Mama’s own, award-winning, super-fast, one of a kind…TACO SOUP!
Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan
Need a vegetarian dinner idea that breaks from the routine while sticking to the classic favorite flavors? This Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan recipe takes all that’s great about eggplant parm and stuffs it in the eggplant skin, meaning less mess and easy serving!
Sticky Orange Cauliflower
Think cauliflower is boring? Dress it up in a quick panko coating and sticky Asian-style sauce and I promise your mind will be changed! Sticky Orange Cauliflower, guys. It’s happening.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
This Sweet Potato Gnocchi recipe is an autumn-inspired take on gnocchi. Fluffy, tender, and melt in your mouth with a buttery sage and rosemary sauce.
Beer Caramelized Onion and Brussels Sprout Pizza
This delicious homemade Brussels sprout pizza has a crispy top with a cheesy, boozy beer caramelized onion interior.
Thai Vegetarian Coconut Curry
This Thai Vegetarian Coconut Curry recipe is an easy, flexible Thai curry recipe that transforms boring weeknight dinner into an exciting meal!
Leave a Comment