Spice up your Fajita Friday with these Vegetable Fajitas, a delicious vegan friendly blend of mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, and a whole lot of flavor.
We all know and love Taco Tuesday, but how about Fajita Friday?! For an evening meal that goes just as heavy on the flavor and combines all of your favorite ingredients into one delicious meal, go for these vegetable fajitas.
Made with the classics like mushrooms, veggies, and lots of toppings, this delicious vegetable fajita recipe is the perfect option for any night of the week. Plus, you can skip the sour cream for vegan fajitas that are great for a crowd!
You can opt to keep things simple with your favorite store-bought tortillas and taco seasoning, or you can get fancy and make your own tortillas right at home! These will be delicious either way. Let’s dive in!
“This was so yummy I’ll be using portobello mushrooms from now on. Love that your recipes are quick n easy! Had I not made this I would’ve ended up at chipotle!” —Shiren
Ingredients in vegetable fajitas
Veggie fajitas keep things pretty simple. Begin with an easy 3-ingredient marinade, followed by a quick and easy mushroom, pepper, and onion vegetable blend. Finish things off with tortillas and your favorite toppings!
- Olive Oil: Start with ¼ cup of olive oil as the base of the veggie marinade.
- Lime Juice: 2 tablespoons of lime juice will add that zing that’s so crucial with fajitas!
- Taco Seasoning: Finish off the marinade with 2½ tablespoons of taco seasoning. (Want to make your own taco seasoning? See below for an easy make-it-yourself blend of spices!)
- Mushrooms: First up, you’ll need 4 to 5 portobello mushrooms.
- Bell Peppers: For the peppers, I recommend using 3 different colors, both for presentation and for flavor!
- Onion: Finally, 1 medium red onion will add a serious amount of flavor.
- Extras: Feel free to throw whatever other veggies you want in the mix! I love adding strips of nopales (cactus leaves)!
- Tortillas: Serve in tortillas, using either 4 large or 6 small tortillas. Feeling adventurous? Make your own flour or flavored tortillas!
- Toppings: Top with your favorite toppings, like sour cream, cilantro, salsa, avocado, and/or lime juice (these fajitas + this blender salsa = a match made in heaven).
How to make veggie fajitas
These easy vegan fajitas are all about the marinade. When you get that rolling and coat the veggies, you wind up with a seriously flavorful result. Top with your favorites, and you’re in for a mouth watering meal!
Step 1: Prep the marinade
First, preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Stir together all of the marinade ingredients (olive oil, lime juice, and taco seasoning).
Step 2: Prep the veggies
Next, slice the mushrooms into ¼ inch slabs. Add them to a large bowl, then toss with the marinade. Cut the peppers and onions into slices, and then add them to the bowl and toss to lightly coat with the marinade.
Step 3: Roast the vegetables
Arrange the veggies in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the veggies are tender and slightly charred at the edges.
This large nonstick sheet pan is one of my everyday favorites!
Step 4: Serve
Warm the tortillas prior to serving, and then spoon the hot veggies into the tortillas. Serve with desired toppings such as cilantro, salsa, pico de gallo, avocado, and lime juice. You can also add sour cream, either regular or a vegan version.
Fajitas from Scratch
Want to make your own tortillas? Here’s an easy recipe to make your own flour tortillas that uses only 4 ingredients and tastes so good with the fajita veggies.
To make your own taco seasoning, use this blend of spices: 1 teaspoon each of chili powder, salt, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano + 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
Similar Recipes to Enjoy
Did you love these vegetarian fajitas? You’ll want to try these too! I’m a huge taco lover, so you can pretty much find any style you can imagine on my blog. I also threw in a taco soup… too delicious to pass up!
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Soyrizo Tacos with Adobo Crème
- Mexican Sheet Pan Supper
- 20 Minute Taco Soup
- ¼ cup olive oil 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp lime juice 30 mL
- 2 ½ Tbsp taco seasoning*
- 4 or 5 portobello mushrooms about 1 lb
- 3 bell peppers use various colors to brighten up the fajitas!
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 large tortillas or 6 small tortillas, use corn tortillas for a gluten-free option
- To serve: sour cream, cilantro, salsa, avocado, lime juice
- Prep: Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Marinade: Stir together all Marinade ingredients.
- Veggies: Slice mushrooms into ¼ inch slabs. Add them to a large bowl, the toss with the marinade. Cut peppers and onions into slices, then add them to the bowl and toss to lightly coat with the marinade.
- Roast: Arrange veggies on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender and slightly charred at the edges.
- Serve: Warm tortillas prior to serving, then spoon hot veggies onto tortillas. Serve with desired toppings!
Tips & Tricks
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ground black pepper