Showing you how to make the BEST Tofu Scramble recipe! These vegan scrambled eggs are flavorful and fluffy (and easy to make).
I think by now we can all agree that tofu is a magical ingredient. You can make tofu pie and tofu smoothies and the tastiest, crispiest tofu. But did you know you can make vegan scrambled eggs with tofu?
This is what breakfast dreams are made of, friends. In just 15 minutes your flavorless block of tofu is transformed into fluffy and flavorful tofu scramble!
“This is amazing! I split it between me and my 11mo old and put garlic salt and tonys cajun season in it and instead of hummus used sour cream for the consistency…. OMG SOOOOO DELICIOUS ! My first time having tofu thank you for this recipe.” —Natasha
Ingredients for Tofu Scramble
- Firm Tofu: Firm tofu will provide the best texture for tofu scramble. Silken tofu will make for less defined crumbles and a softer texture (so it’s your preference really).
- Nutritional Yeast: This magical healthy ingredient adds cheesy, eggy flavor (while being totally plant-based). Bonus: it’s loaded with vitamin B12!
- Hummus: A few spoonfuls of hummus give these vegan eggs the creamy, hearty texture you would expect from traditional scrambled eggs. You could also use cashew cream here if you’re not a hummus fan.
- Turmeric: Macaroni-colored turmeric brings that classic scrambled egg look to this tofu (because eating is largely visual!)
- Salt and Pepper: Finish it off with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper (and any other spice you’re feeling like throwing in).
How to make tofu scramble
Ok go grab a pen because this is going to get complicated.
- Step 1: Throw everything in a pan.
- Step 2: Cook until hot.
Not even joking when I say it is that easy to make this tofu scramble recipe, friends! You can spruce it up with sautéed peppers or onions, or top it with sliced green onions (but for those mornings when you can’t be bothered to stand over the stove for longer than 7 minutes, this basic tofu scramble has your back). Enjoy!
Tips for the perfect scramble
This vegan scramble egg recipe is so easy, but these tips will ensure it turns out perfect every time!
- Use firm or extra-firm tofu: These types of tofu have a denser texture, which makes them ideal for scrambling. Soft or silken tofu will be too delicate and may fall apart when cooked.
- Press the tofu: Before cooking, press the tofu to remove excess moisture. You can use a tofu press, or wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and place a heavy object on top (such as a cast iron skillet) for about 15 minutes.
- Add veggies: Tofu scramble is a great way to sneak in some extra veggies. Try adding chopped spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, or tomatoes. Saute them in a separate pan before adding them to the tofu scramble.
- Add toppings: Top your tofu scramble with chopped herbs, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, or avocado slices for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Serve with toast or potatoes: Tofu scramble is delicious served with whole-grain toast or roasted potatoes for a filling breakfast or brunch.
- 1 16-oz package firm tofu 450 g
- 1 tsp olive oil 5 mL
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast 20 g
- ¼ cup hummus 50 g
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Prep: Wrap the tofu in a few layers of paper towels and gently squeeze out excess moisture.
- Cook: Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium/high. Use your hands to crumble the tofu into the pan (you can use your spatula to break up the bigger pieces as it cooks). Add remaining ingredients and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until water from tofu has evaporate and mixture is thick and fragrant.
- Serve: Taste and add more salt, pepper, or spices to suit your liking. Serve warm and enjoy!