Roasted Chickpea Gyros
This Roasted Chickpea Gyros recipe is easy vegetarian dinner for feeding everyone on busy weeknights!
It’s really simple actually. Season and roast up some chickpeas, throw together the World’s Best Tzatziki, and put it all on a pita with some lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions. We won’t roast the chickpeas for quite as long today, just 20 minutes, until they’re cooked but not hard. This’ll give them a hearty texture, replacing any desire you may have had for putting meat into this vegetarian sandwich. We don’t need no meats up in here!
How do you roast chickpeas?
Drain the can of chickpeas and pat dry with paper towels. Toss with 1 tablespoon of oil per can of chickpeas, along with whatever spices you like (today we’re using gyro spices!) Then roast chickpeas at 400 degrees F (204 C) for 20 minutes, until a bit crispy.
Other Easy Vegetarian Dinner Ideas
- 20 Minute Taco Soup
- Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Pesto
- Roasted Cauliflower Street Tacos
- Roasted Chickpea Stuffed Avocados
- Cook it Fresh: 31 Days of Easy Vegetarian Dinners
Want a Printable Recipe + Grocery List?
Roasted Chickpea Gyros
Simple and delicious Mediterranean inspired vegetarian Roasted Chickpea Gyros with refreshing tzatziki sauce.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas 425 g, 1 ½ cup soaked chickpeas if starting from dry, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp paprika* 7 g
- 1 tsp ground black pepper 3 g
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 1.5 g
- 1/4 tsp salt 1.5 g
- 4 pita flatbreads
- 1 cup tzatziki (click for recipe) 250 g, use ⅓ recipe if you're just making it for these gyros
- 1/4 red onion cut into strips
- 2 lettuce leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tomato sliced
Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Pat dry chickpeas with paper towel, removing any skins that may come off. Gently toss chickpeas with oil, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.
Roast: Spread chickpeas onto a greased rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned but not hard.
Assemble: Spread some tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then sprinkle in ¼ of the chickpeas and add veggies. Fold in half and enjoy!
- *If you don't like spicy foods, halve the amount paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Taste a chickpea before baking and adjust flavors as needed.
- If your pita breads crack when you fold them, cover them with a moist paper towel and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Assemble your sandwich immediately after microwaving.
- Wanna bring these to lunch? Try them in meal prep-able form!
Helpful products for these Roasted Chickpea Gyros
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy something from that link I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Live Eat Learn and for making easy vegetarian dinner recipes like these Roasted Chickpea Gyros possible!