Roasted Chickpea Gyros
This Roasted Chickpea Gyros recipe is an easy vegetarian dinner for feeding everyone on busy weeknights!
After discovering and subsequently eating far too many roasted chickpeas yesterday, I wanted to find a way to make these flavor bombs into an actual, sustainable meal.
And at this point, “meal” really means anything that doesn’t involve just eating a bowl full of roasted chickpeas. I suppose as I get closer and closer to moving and really begin whittling away at my pantry stock, I’ll have to become more lenient in what I consider a “meal”…but for now I can still justify buying some fresh veggies and flatbreads to make these vegetarian Roasted Chickpea Gyros!
Making these vegetarian gyros is really simple actually. Season and roast up some chickpeas, throw together the World’s Best Tzatziki, and put it all on a pita with some lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions.
We won’t roast the chickpeas for quite as long today, just 20 minutes, until they’re cooked but not hard. This will give them a hearty texture, replacing any desire you may have had for putting meat into this vegetarian sandwich. We don’t need no meats up in here!
Roasted Chickpea Gyros Video
How do you roast chickpeas?
Drain the can of chickpeas and pat dry with paper towels. Toss with 1 tablespoon of oil per can of chickpeas, along with whatever spices you like (today we’re using gyro spices!) Then roast chickpeas at 400 degrees F (204 C) for 20 minutes, until a bit crispy.
Other Easy Vegetarian Dinner Ideas
- 20 Minute Taco Soup
- Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Pesto
- Roasted Cauliflower Street Tacos
- Roasted Chickpea Stuffed Avocados
- Cook it Fresh: 31 Days of Easy Vegetarian Dinners
Roasted Chickpea Gyros
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas 425 g, 1 ½ cup soaked chickpeas if starting from dry, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp paprika* 7 g
- 1 tsp ground black pepper 3 g
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 1.5 g
- 1/4 tsp salt 1.5 g
- 4 pita flatbreads
- 1 cup tzatziki (click for recipe) 250 g, use ⅓ recipe if you’re just making it for these gyros
- 1/4 red onion cut into strips
- 2 lettuce leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tomato sliced
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Pat dry chickpeas with paper towel, removing any skins that may come off. Gently toss chickpeas with oil, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Roast: Spread chickpeas onto a greased rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned but not hard.
- Assemble: Spread some tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then sprinkle in ¼ of the chickpeas and add veggies. Fold in half and enjoy!
- *If you don’t like spicy foods, halve the amount paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Taste a chickpea before baking and adjust flavors as needed.
- If your pita breads crack when you fold them, cover them with a moist paper towel and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Assemble your sandwich immediately after microwaving.
- Wanna bring these to lunch? Try them in meal prep-able form!
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time.