I absolute love making vegetarian taco recipes —they’re a simple, healthy dinner. This veggie-packed taco is easy and quick to make! It’s filled with good-for-you ingredients, like chopped roasted cauliflower and crispy baked chickpeas. Top your cauliflower tacos with with a quick red cabbage slaw, and homemade avocado sauce. Dinner is done in 45 minutes!
Looking for new vegetarian taco ideas? These roasted cauliflower tacos are your answer. We’re dressing up nutritious cauliflower and protein-packed chickpeas as a delicious street taco, because taco Tuesday deserves a comeback. And everyone knows tacos are a minimal effort, maximum tastiness weeknight kinda dinner. So let’s taco.
A good taco is all about the components. And in my book, the more the better. So while the cauliflower and chickpeas are our main vegetarian taco filling, the deliciousness doesn’t stop there. We’re talking pickled red cabbage and avocado crema.
Oh, and it’s all done in under 45 minutes. Taco night: engage.
“I can’t say enough about how much I love this recipe. I’ve made it several times and even my die hard meat eaters enjoy it.” —Angela
Here’s what you’ll need
This recipe has three main components: the filling, the crema, and the slaw.
This quick version of our avocado crema is a blend of avocado, garlic, and seasonings
Vegetarian Taco Filling
We’re using a combination of spiced cauliflower and chickpeas, roasted until crispy! Cauliflower not your thing? Try out vegan tempeh taco filling!
This large nonstick sheet pan is one of my everyday favorites!
How do you make vegetarian tacos?
The key to the perfect vegetarian tacos is to keep the flavor high! Being completely plant-based does not mean your tacos have to fall behind in flavor.
Choose your vegetable and season it well (cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder are all perfect on vegetarian tacos!) And don’t forget to add a killer sauce, like the herby avocado sauce we’re using in these Roasted Cauliflower Tacos (or change it up with this dreamy cashew queso!)
What vegetables are good for tacos?
Aim for a mix of crunchy and soft vegetables for the perfect vegetarian tacos. Roasted cauliflower provides filling crunch, while chickpeas are a bit softer and meatier. You can also use sliced portobellos (similar to how we do it in this Portobello Gyros), pulled “pork” oyster mushrooms (like in these Mushroom Carnitas Tacos), sweet potatoes (like in these Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos, bell peppers, zucchini…wherever the wind takes you!
What pairs well with tacos?
The sky’s the limit when it comes to taco pairings! I like to serve dishes that can be served both on or next to the tacos.
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage 220g
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 45 mL
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp honey or sugar for vegan alternative
- ¼ tsp salt
Roasted Cauliflower Taco Filling
- 3 cups cauliflower 350 g, chopped
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas 425g, strained and patted slightly dry
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup olive oil 60 mL
- ½ lime juiced
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas or corn
- Slaw: Combine all of the Slaw ingredients in a non-metal bowl and set aside. Stir every once in a while.
- Bake Filling: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Toss together all Cauliflower Filling ingredients. Lay on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until slightly browned and crisp.
- Sauce: Meanwhile, combine all Sauce ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Assemble: Spoon filling evenly onto 8 tortillas. Top with a heaping spoonful of slaw and avocado sauce. Serve immediately or store separately until ready to eat.