Roasted Cauliflower Street Tacos
These Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with quick slaw and avocado cream sauce are a quick and delicious way to load up on veggies this Taco Tuesday!
Happy Halloween, friends! I celebrated this weekend with a visit to a haunted castle, a Harry Potter movie marathon, and by introducing the Dutch to candy corn. So even though I didn’t dress up **sigh**, I still think it was a productive Halloweekend.
But I’m making up for my lack of costume by dressing up cauliflower and chickpeas as a delicious street taco, because taco Tuesday deserves a comeback. And the amount of takeout dinners the tulip-man and I eat is proportional to the number of hours I’m on a train each day (rapidly increasing). And everyone knows tacos are a minimal effort, maximum tastiness weeknight kinda dinner. So let’s taco.
The tulip-man likes to poke fun at my obsession with chickpeas. “Chickpeas? Again??” he’ll ask as he hovers over my latest creation. But since my discovery of the Chickpea Gyro, which took Pinterest (and my weekly dinner line-up) by storm, it’s been true chickpea love. So today, we’re incorporating them into these Roasted Cauliflower Tacos, making these tacos ultra-filling and extra-delicious.
What vegetables are good for tacos?
Aim for a mix of crunchy and soft vegetables for the perfect vegetarian tacos. Roasted cauliflower provides filling crunch, while chickpeas are a bit softer and meatier. You can also use sliced portobellos (similar to how we do it in this Portobello Gyros), pulled “pork” oyster mushrooms (like in these tacos) bell peppers, sweet potatoes, zucchini…wherever the wind takes you!
How do you make vegetarian tacos?
The key to the perfect vegetarian tacos is to keep the flavor high! Being completely plant-based does not mean your tacos have to fall behind in flavor. Choose your vegetable and season it well (cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder are all perfect on vegetarian tacos!) And don’t forget to add a killer sauce, like the herby avocado sauce we’re using in these Roasted Cauliflower Tacos.
More of our favorite easy vegetarian tacos
Roasted Cauliflower Street Tacos
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage 220g
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 45 mL
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp honey or sugar for vegan alternative
- ¼ tsp salt
Roasted Cauliflower Taco Filling
- 3 cups cauliflower 350 g, chopped
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas 425g, strained and patted slightly dry
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup good olive oil 60 mL
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas or corn
- Slaw: Combine all of the Slaw ingredients in a non-metal bowl and set aside. Stir every once in a while.
- Bake Filling: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Toss together all Cauliflower Filling ingredients. Lay on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until slightly browned and crisp.
- Sauce: Meanwhile, combine all Sauce ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Assemble: Spoon filling evenly onto 8 tortillas. Top with a heaping spoonful of slaw and avocado sauce. Serve immediately or store separately until ready to eat.
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time.