Leafy Greens Pesto (3 Ways)
Got extra greens? Make some Leafy Greens Pesto! Here are 3 recipes for carrot top, spinach, and watercress pesto (all in under 5 minutes!)
Despite my love/hate relationship with pesto, it’s my go-to sauce for just about everything (though Romesco is climbing in ranks lately). But with my baby plant garden finally thriving, I can’t quite bring myself to completely eradicate the basil in the name of pesto (anyone else emotionally vested in their plant babies? just me?)
So I set out to create a formula for pesto without basil, but with leafy greens! You can use virtually any leafy green you have on hand, but today I’m showing you how to make it with three: watercress (our spotlight ingredient), spinach, and carrot tops.
Ingredients to make pesto without basil:
- 2 cups leafy greens
- 1/4 cup nuts (use the Vegetarian Flavor Bible for ideas on which nuts pair well with your leafy greens)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 3 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
You’d think these would lack flavor because they miss the basil, but they are actually so great. Like, so great. You can add a few leaves of basil if you really want a punch of flavor, but they hold their own quite well without it. So without further ado, basil-less recipes!
Leafy Greens Pesto
Carrot Top Pesto
- 2 cups carrot top leaves 60 g
- 1/4 cup pinenuts 35 g
- 2 cups watercress 60 g
- 1/4 cup walnuts 35 g
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice 15 mL
- 2 cups spinach 60 g
- 1/4 cup almonds 35 g
For all of the pestos
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan 50 g
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 118 mL
- Blitz: Choose which type of pesto you'd like to make. Add all the ingredients listed under it to a food processor, along with parmesan, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pulse until leaves are broken down.
- Oil: Scrape down the sides of the food processor and put the lid back on. With the food processor running, slowly pour in olive oil until full incorporated.
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time. Read more