Here’s a way to make your beets NOT taste like dirt! This Roasted Beet and Radish Salad is loaded with fresh pesto, feta cheese, and a hint of lemon, which help to counter that typical beet taste that so many of us can’t get over.
The whole point of us taking on one new ingredient every other week is that we’re forced to try things we might not usually. Case in point. Radishes. And beets. Basically everything that makes up this salad is made possible by the nagging feeling that I can’t just make chocolate and avocado the spotlight ingredient every week. We need to focus on like…grownup food too.
But as it turns out, beets and radishes can be really tasty. Like when you draw out their natural sweetness by quickly roasting them.
Then when you counter the typical dirt flavor of beets with a squeeze of lemon and some feta.
Then when you bring it all together with a simple basil pesto. That, friends, is how you eat beets and radishes. Introducing, Roasted Beet and Radish Salad!
- 2 red beets peeled and diced
- 1 cup radishes diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled or diced, 100 g
- 2 Tbsp pesto 30 g
- ½ lemon
- Roast: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Dice beets and radishes, and spread onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper, tossing around a bit to evenly coat. Roast for 20 minutes, or until radishes are a bit tender (beets will still have some crunch)
- Serve: Toss to combine roasted beets, radishes, feta, pesto, and the juice from half of a lemon. Serve warm or cold.