These Crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas are my go-to snack. They’re tasty, crunchy, filling, and totally delicious. To make this recipe, you’ll need just 15 minutes.
I’m sure many of you can agree: air fryer recipes are the best. They can totally transform meh foods into something that’s tasty and new. If you’ve been wondering how to air fry healthy little chickpeas, it’s your lucky day. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while, and I’m so glad that I finally gave it a go! This recipe hits the spot and is now one of my favorite snacks.
This air fryer recipe is super simple and only requires three ingredients. You can choose to leave it at that for an easy, salty snack, or you can spice it up with the seasonings of your choice. It’s all up to you!
“Tried this recipe a couple of times with different seasonings. Delicious quick, health, flavorful, and crispy snack. This will also be a go-to recipe for a quick snack when entertaining. The tip about drying out the beans in the air fryer was much appreciated since we are out of paper towels at the moment.” —Keith
If you’re new to the world of air frying and need some pointers on which air fryer to purchase, check out my review of the best air fryers.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Chickpeas
Like many of my air fryer recipes, this one requires very minimal ingredients to achieve a delicious, crunchy result. It only calls for three main ingredients:
- Chickpeas: We will use one can of chickpeas to create this crispy snack. For best results, pat them dry with a paper towel before air frying.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is used to coat the chickpeas. It helps the seasonings stick, and also helps to make them crispy!
- Salt: Salt is a great, classic seasoning choice that tastes delicious with chickpeas.
- Seasoning of Your Choice: Feel free to mix it up by ditching the salt and using your preferred seasoning. See below for Ranch, Dorito, and coconut curry ideas!
How to Make Crispy Chickpeas
It’s so simple to make air fryer chickpeas. These only require a couple of steps and are ready in as little as 15 minutes.
- Drain and dry: Drain and pat chickpeas dry with a paper towel.
- Toss with seasonings: Coat chickpeas by tossing with olive oil and the seasonings of your choice.
- Arrange in air fryer: Spread in a single layer in your air fryer basket or rack.
- Cook the chickpeas: At 390°F (200°C), cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crispy and lightly browned.
Tips for Making Crispy Chickpeas
If you like extra crispy chickpeas, dry them in the air fryer before adding the oil and seasonings. Simply line the tray of the fryer, and let them cook for about 5 minutes. Alternatively, thoroughly dry them by laying them in between two towels and gently rolling back and forth with your hands. It’s ok if you lose some skins in the process.
Chickpea Seasoning Ideas
Finally, let’s talk about the part of this recipe where you can really put on your chef’s hat and get creative. If you like getting fancy with your seasonings, you’ll definitely want to try these ideas (get all of our flavored roasted chickpea ideas here).
- Ranch: ½ tsp dried dill, ½ tsp dried chives, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper
- Dorito: 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp salt
- Coconut Curry: 1 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut, ½ tsp curry powder, ¼ tsp salt
You’ll want to try these air fryer recipes too
- Air Fryer Pizza
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Crispy Air Fried Tofu
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas 425g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- ½ tsp salt or seasoning of choice, see notes
- Prep: Drain and pat chickpeas dry with a paper towel. Toss together with oil and salt (or your chosen seasoning).
- Cook: Spread in a single layer in your air fryer basket or rack. Cook at 390°F (200°C) for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crispy and lightly browned.