Refresh and cool down with this homemade Blueberry Banana Smoothie. Perfectly frosted and made with just four ingredients, it’s the perfect quick and easy breakfast or sweet treat.
In a week totally focused on smoothies recipes, we’d be remiss not to include one of the classics…Blueberry Banana!
At this very moment, you’re only 4 ingredients and 5 minutes away from the smoothie of your dreams.
This blueberry banana smoothie is like everything good and refreshing wrapped up into a purple concoction of delicious flavor. Not only do the ingredients result in the prettiest purple hue, they also taste freggin’ fantastic. Grab your blender. Let’s do this.
Blueberry banana smoothie ingredients
Like I mentioned above, this smoothie recipe only requires four main ingredients (most of which you probably already have in your kitchen).
- Blueberries: Start off with 1 cup of blueberries. These provide the best flavor in this smoothie and are also responsible for that pretty purple color.
- Banana: Next up, 1 banana adds sweet, creamy oomph to this recipe.
- Yogurt: For consistency, we’ll be using ½ cup of vanilla yogurt. This will add a subtle flavor while also giving the smoothie a thicker texture. You can use your favorite dairy-free version if you’d like.
- Milk: Finally, the liquid! I recommend using ½ to 1 cup of milk, depending on how thick or runny you’d like the smoothie to be. You can use a dairy-free option here too.
- Optional: Here is the fun part! You can add whatever you’d like to the top of your smoothie. I recommend a spoonful of your favorite nut butter and a bit of granola!
How to make a frosty smoothie at home
Smoothies are one of those things that always seem to taste better when purchased from a café or smoothie stand… until now. Finally, I’ve discovered the secret to why shop-bought smoothies are so much better!
The answer lies in the frozenness of the ingredients, because nobody likes a runny smoothie. When you use ingredients that are partly frozen (i.e. at least part of the fruit), you’ll wind up with a smoothie so frosty that you’ll be amazed it was created in your own kitchen.
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
First, before blending, freeze either the blueberries or the banana. This will give your smoothie a frosty texture! Note: If freezing the banana, be sure to peel and slice it first!
Step 2: Blend everything together
Add the berries, banana, yogurt, and milk to a blender and blitz until smooth. For a punch of healthy fat, you can either blend in nut butter, or use it as a topping! Optionally sprinkle granola on top for some extra crunch.
Like with most smoothie recipes, this one can be customized and tweaked to fit to your liking. Here are some options that you can try!
Switch up the fruit
Smoothies are extremely versatile and can be switched up so easily! You can sub any of the fruit in this smoothie for any fruit you’d prefer. Easy swaps include strawberries in place of the blueberries or mangoes in place of the banana!
Add extra toppings
For extra toppings, you can add nuts, dried fruit, or even chocolate nibs in addition to (or instead of) the nut butter and granola.
For a bump in protein, you can actually use cottage cheese in place of the yogurt. Don’t worry, the smoothie will still taste like blueberry banana!
Make it pop
And, for something extra fun, you can use a popsicle mold to make frozen treats with this smoothie mix! Just pour the blended smoothie into your popsicle form and let it freeze.
More smoothies to try
Can’t get enough refreshing smoothie goodness? Here are some more delicious flavors to whip up this week!
- Strawberry Pomegranate Smoothie
- Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- Pink Power Beat Smoothie
- Strawberry Watermelon Rind Smoothie
- Tropical Green Cucumber Smoothie
- Or grab out Ultimate Smoothie Guide
And for a banana-packed breakfast, pair this smoothie with our healthy Breakfast Banana Splits!
- 1 cup blueberries 150 g
- 1 banana
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt can sub dairy-free, 120 g
- ½ to 1 cup milk can sub dairy-free, 120 mL
- Optional: spoonful of nut butter, granola
- Prep: Before blending, freeze either the blueberries or banana (slice it before freezing). This will give your smoothie a frosty texture!
- Blend: Add berries, banana, yogurt, and milk to a blender and blitz until smooth. Optionally blend in (or top with) a spoonful of nut butter, along with a sprinkle of granola for a crunchy topping!