A banana split for breakfast? Why not! Sweet berries with crisp granola, plus a dairy protein boost means this banana split can be enjoyed at any time of day.
Okay, okay. I’m sure you love a great big banana split as a treat on a hot summer day. It’s perfect for sharing with friends and family, and the calories don’t count when you share, right? But what if I said you could eat a banana split every day?? When it’s a healthy yogurt banana split, you can.
What’s even more enjoyable with this recipe is the fact that you can easily share it with your dog!
You read that right. When you whip up a batch of these health banana splits, be sure to make a portion for the pup. These ingredients are safe for dogs (though of course each pup is individual in their digestion so always check with your vet if you have any concerns). But they will certainly enjoy the sweet berries and banana mixed with crunchy granola and cottage cheese.
This recipe is the first in our series of dog-friendly recipes that you both can share! It’s a celebration of our new sister site, Bone Appétreat. If you have a dog who loves food, be sure to check it out for all things dog food, nutrition, enrichment, and more!
How gorgeous do these healthy banana split toppings look? I combined both fresh and frozen berries which gives a lot of great texture options. I especially enjoy frozen berries stirred into yogurt because they impart a lovely flavor throughout as they thaw.
Ingredients for Breakfast Banana Split
Everything here is probably something you already have in your kitchen. Whether you use them in this recipe or to create other combinations, they all store easily and last a long time.
- Bananas: Everyone has their own favorite level of ripeness. Enjoy any sort of banana you want here, it just might not be such a pretty “split” on the plate if you like them super ripe.
- Berries: Go to town here! Frozen berries are one of the most versatile ingredients to have on hand. Plus they virtually never go bad! Definitely use fresh berries when they are in-season!
- Cottage Cheese: Large curd or small curd, take a big scoop. This cultured dairy is low in lactose and high in protein (both which are great for dogs).
- Yogurt: Stick with plain, unsweetened yogurt and let the fruit and granola add sweetness. If serving to your dog, ensure the yogurt doesn’t contain any xylitol, which is toxic for dogs.
- Granola: This is the best layer of texture here. It contrasts so well with the yogurt and fruit!
Granola comes in so many different options. Make sure you are selecting one that is safe for your dog if you plan to share this treat with them. Look out for chocolate and raisins, two common granola ingredients that are toxic to dogs. Puffed rice, oats, and peanut butter are all great for sharing!
How to make A Granola banana Split
You can be enjoying this banana split in 15 minutes flat. How much fun would it be to enjoy it on the porch with a cup of coffee? I bet you could even make it in the time it takes your mug to brew!
Step 1: Cut
Peel and then slice a banana in half lengthwise. A firmer banana is easier for getting the perfect split.
Step 2: Dairy
Add your dairy in the middle. It’s up to you if go halfsies or more of one. Or whatever’s in the fridge!
Step 3: Toppings
Add your berries in bite-size pieces. I like to get a nice variety into my bowl.
Lastly, top with your crunch! Plain granola for the pup but feel free to add anything you want to yours.
Recipe tips for a Healthy Banana Split
Banana Prep: If your banana is softer, go ahead and dice it into rounds. Did you know bananas also naturally split into three “fingers”? This is a great option for small children. I like to split break the banana in half and then separate it into three fingers. Perfect for small hands to pick up and dip.
Pick Your Crunch: There’s nothing wrong with a few chocolate chips in the morning (unless you’re sharing it with the pup, of course)! Add nuts, seeds, whatever you are currently craving.
Toppings: Enjoy this banana split at dessert time too, with some chocolate syrup or a drizzle of nut butter.
Beyond the Berry: Feel free to use any fruit you’d like, such as diced peaches, canned crushed pineapple, or even homemade jam.
Make It A Meal
This healthy banana split is perfect on its own, especially if you choose Greek yogurt. But if you’re looking for something more substantial, it also works well as a side.
- Like the contrast of hot and cold? A super fluffy Soufflé Omelette is just the thing!
- If you can’t start your day without caffeine, make sure and always have some Cold Brew Coffee on hand.
- Since a banana split is so fast, have the kids make their own and enjoy them while you whip up a Sunday brunch of the best Vanilla Pancakes around.
Hungry for more meals you can share with your pup? Try out these Egg Muffin Cups, these Cottage Cheese Omelettes, or these Frozen Yogurt Covered Strawberries! And be sure to check out Bone Appétreat for all things dog food and nutrition.
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup low fat yogurt 50 g
- ¼ cup cottage cheese 50 g
- ¼ cup mixed berries 30 g
- ¼ cup granola 30 g
- Cut: Split a banana in half lengthwise. Arrange halves in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Dairy: Scoop the yogurt and cottage cheese in between banana halves.
- Toppings: Top with mixed berries and granola.
Leave a Comment