This beet smoothie recipe takes the classic strawberry banana smoothie and super-charges it with antioxidant-rich roasted beets! It’s a healthy smoothie with beets, adding tons of vitamins and minerals to kickstart your day.
So we did the whole hot/savory thing with our Beet Pesto Pizza, but I know you’re just dying to find out how you can incorporate more beets into your diet (specifically breakfast, amiright?)
Well look no further. This recipe takes beets to the other side of the flavor spectrum, transforming your everyday strawberry banana smoothie into a health-packed, super pink power beet smoothie.
“Very yummy! I cooked the beets in the instant pot with the peels on. After I Let them cool I just used a paper towel to wipe off the peel…so easy!! This is a great way to use all the beets I’ve been getting from my CSA. Thanks for the great recipe.” —NanaCooks
You’ll need to roast the beets like we did in our Beet Pesto Pizza recipe, but with water in place of olive oil. Roasting transforms a lot of that earthy flavor into sweeter deliciousness.
Can raw beets be used in smoothies?
If you’re low on time, you can use raw beets to make this smoothie. They will be a bit firmer and harder to blend, and the flavor will have more of that pungent earthy flavor, but it does save on time (and retains more of the vitamins in the beets!)
What kind of beets are good for smoothies?
Baby beets are naturally sweeter, making them great for smoothies! Use 2 baby beets or 1 large red beet for this recipe
What goes well with beets in a smoothie?
To combat the “dirt” flavor many people don’t like in beets, use creamy and sweet ingredients in your smoothie. Banana and yogurt add creaminess, while strawberries and honey add sweetness!
More healthy smoothie recipes to try
We love smoothie recipes around here, especially ones that are secretly super healthy! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Wake Me Up Coffee Smoothie
- Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- Strawberry Watermelon Rind Smoothie
- How to Make Green Smoothies
- 1 large red beet or 2 baby beets
- 1 cup quartered strawberries* 150 g
- 1 banana*
- ½ cup strawberry yogurt or dairy-free alternative, 120 g
- 1 Tbsp honey 15 g
- Splash of milk as needed
- Roast: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Trim, peel, and chop beets into ½ inch cubes. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp water and place in on aluminum foil, fashioning the foil into a sealed pouch. Cook for 40 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Blend: Allow roasted beet to cool. Blend together all ingredients, adding more honey to suit your taste, and a splash of milk if needed to get things moving.