If you love sitting down for breakfast but don’t love spending anymore than 5 minutes in the kitchen, smoothie bowls are right up your alley. This Strawberry Grapefruit Smoothie Bowl is tart, sweet (+ you can serve it in the grapefruit peel…goodbye dishes!)
Did you know some people can’t taste bitter? I’ve taken a few sensory science classes since starting my master’s program in the fall, and they’re all about teaching you how we perceive food via the sense (sight, taste, touch that stuff). In one class we were given a cup of clear liquid. If you didn’t have the receptors for bitter, it would taste just like water.
Needless to say, I can taste bitter. And took a big swig of the seemingly harmless liquid that turned out to be the root of all evil, i.e. pure bitterness. Grapefruit is obviously very bitter, and I knew if us bitter-tasters were gonna get through this grapefruit spotlight, we’d have to find some ways to make it work.
And that’s exactly what this grapefruit smoothie does. With sweet strawberries, creamy banana, and zingy ginger, the bitterness of the grapefruit is balanced perfectly. It’s tart while sweet, creamy while crunchy (helloooo toppings), and the perfect kind of Sunday morning reset.
More healthy smoothie recipes to try
- Wake Me Up Coffee Smoothie
- Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie
- Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- Strawberry Watermelon Rind Smoothie
- Pink Power Beet Smoothie
- How to Make Green Smoothies
- ½ cup frozen strawberries 100 g
- 1 banana chopped and frozen
- 1 grapefruit
- ¼ cup plain yogurt 70 g, or dairy-free alternative
- 2 Tbsp honey 30 mL
- ½ tsp chopped ginger
- Topping ideas: kiwi, chia seeds, shaved coconut, banana, fresh berries
- If you’re using your grapefruit peel as a bowl, half it and scoop out the fruit.
- Combine all ingredients in a strong blender until smooth, adding a touch of milk if necessary to get things moving. It should be thicker than a smoothie you would drink.
- Top with whatever tropical fruit you have on hand (I used sliced kiwi, shaved coconut, and chia seeds)
Leave a Comment