Sometimes coffee is enough. When I lived in Texas, I had a big ‘Merica-sized coffee pot that’d brew me a giant Hydro Flask worth of coffee that I’d sip all day. But now I live in Europe where everything is more modestly sized, including, unfortunately, the coffee. Which means now, a coffee doesn’t always cut it. And that, my friends, is why we have a coffee smoothie.
And today I’m needing this coffee smoothie. Last night, as a belated birthday gift to the tulip-man, three of us made our way an hour east to the adorable town of Tilburg to see Douwe Bob. Here in the Netherlands there’s an American Idol-esque show called “Beste Singer Songwriter”. And even though most of the show is in Dutch, the songs are often in English and I. Love. Them. Douwe Bob won the first season of the show and he’s just great, but moral of the story is…he kept us up really late and now we’re all sleepy heads.
This Wake Me Up Coffee Smoothie has everything you need for a complete breakfast: whole grains, fruit, caffeine, and a dollop of protein if you’re feeling it.
- 1 banana, previously sliced and frozen
- ½ cup (120 mL) strong brewed coffee, chilled
- ½ cup (120 mL) milk (any variety)
- ¼ cup (25 g) rolled oats
- Optional: spoonful of nut butter
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth, adding more milk as necessary to reach a consistency to your liking. Optionally top with a sprinkle of chocolate and serve immediately.
I originally posted this recipe on Amanda’s Cookin’!