Refresh your morning smoothie routine with this creamy, healthy and wholesome Chocolate Avocado Smoothie! It’s quick and easy to whip up in a high-powered blender, and rich in healthy fats to fuel your morning the right way!
When you think of an avocado recipe, do you associate it with greens and veggies? Thanks to the seeded center, avocados are actually fruits! This seems obvious because of the seed, but their flavor would make you think otherwise — there’s nothing sweet about ‘em!
But despite their lack of sweet and more savory flavor, avocados are undeniably one of America’s favorite foods. Avocado toast, anyone? (Is avocado good for you? Yes, here’s why – from me, a nutritionist!)
And today, we’re complimenting the savory taste with a few sweeter ingredients to get the most delicious chocolate avocado smoothie you’ve ever tried. Loaded with avocado, banana, cocoa powder, honey, and milk, this is a total powerhouse of a meal, and the perfect way to kick off your day! It’s one of my favorite healthy homemade smoothie recipes. Let’s blend!
Ingredients in this chocolate avocado smoothie
This avocado banana chocolate smoothie is made with only 5 ingredients. That banana that you told yourself you would eat in your next smoothie? Well, now is the time to break it out of the freezer and put it to the flavor test!
- Avocado: First, start with ½ of an avocado. You’ll be amazed at how the avocado tastes when combined with the other ingredients! (You can even freeze the avocado beforehand to make this smoothie even frostier!)
- Banana: From there, add 1 banana. It should be previously sliced and frozen. The frozen consistency will help make the smoothie icy cold (without having to add ice, which tends to water down smoothies).
- Cocoa Powder: Next, add the chocolate component with 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder (we have options for cocoa powder substitutes here, to include chocolate protein powder!)
- Honey: Sweeten up the deal with 1 tablespoon of honey! This adds the perfect amount of (totally natural) sweet flavor. For a vegan chocolate avocado smoothie, use brown sugar or maple syrup instead of honey.
- Milk: Finally, finish things off with ½ to 1 cup of milk. You can use regular or dairy-free.
How to make an avocado chocolate smoothie
This is a one-step deal. Just throw everything in a blender and hit the button! In less than 60 seconds, you’ll have a delicious, frosty, healthy chocolate avocado smoothie ready to enjoy. This avocado smoothie recipe serves 1, but feel free to double or even triple it to serve a crowd!
Combine all of the smoothie ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add more milk as necessary to reach your desired consistency.
For a banana-free smoothie, replace the banana with ¼ can of coconut milk! For a frosty texture, you can freeze the coconut milk in an ice cube tray before hand, then simply blend up the frozen coconut milk!
Double Up: For an extra serving, easily double the ingredients. I recommend keeping it to only 1-2 servings at a time. You don’t want an overloaded blender!
Add Some Oomph: Want to thicken your smoothie and add extra protein? Throw in a scoop of your favorite nut butter! It will taste delish alongside the chocolate and banana.
Satisfy your avocado craving with these recipes
There are plenty of avocado recipes where this one came from! Here are some more flavorful ways to use up your avo’ stash.
- Avocado Pesto Pinwheels
- Avocado Pomegranate Toast
- Crispy Avocado Tacos
- Roasted Chickpea Stuffed Avocados
- Loaded Avocado Sandwich
- ½ avocado
- 1 banana previously sliced and frozen
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp honey 15 g
- ½ to 1 cup milk or dairy-free alternative
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth, adding more milk as necessary to reach your desired consistency.