Wake Me Up Coffee Smoothie
This Wake Me Up Coffee Smoothie has everything you need for a complete breakfast: whole grains, fruit, caffeine, and a dollop of protein if you’re feeling it.
Sometimes coffee is enough. When I lived in Texas, I had a big ‘Merica-sized coffee pot that’d brew me a giant Hydro Flask worth of coffee that I’d sip all day. But now I live in Europe where everything is more modestly sized, including, unfortunately, the coffee. Which means now, a coffee doesn’t always cut it. And that, my friends, is why we have a coffee smoothie.
And today I’m needing this coffee smoothie. Last night, as a belated birthday gift to the tulip-man, three of us made our way an hour east to the adorable town of Tilburg for a concert. And even though most it was in Dutch, it was so much fun! But moral of the story is…we were up really late and now we’re all sleepy heads in desperate need of a coffee smoothie.
Wake Me Up Coffee Smoothie Video
How do you make the ultimate frozen coffee smoothie?
Start with chilled coffee, then add in frozen banana (for natural sweetness and thick frostiness), oats, milk, and nut butter for an extra punch of protein. You can also use a fresh (non-frozen banana) and add a handful of ice. Then just blend everything together until smooth and creamy and enjoy!
Variations of this coffee smoothie
- Vegan smoothie: Make this smoothie vegan easily by using plant-based milk.
- Smoothie without bananas: Make it without banana by subbing in 1/4 cup of coconut milk and adding a few ice cubes.
- More protein: Add protein to your smoothie by adding a spoonful of nut butter (like almond or peanut butter), or by adding a scoop of protein powder.
This healthy coffee smoothie is really the breakfast of possibilities, friends!
Wake Me Up Coffee Smoothie
- 1 banana previously sliced and frozen
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee 120 mL, chilled
- ½ cup milk 120 mL, any variety
- ¼ cup rolled oats 25 g
- Optional: spoonful of nut butter
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth, adding more milk as necessary to reach a consistency to your liking. Optionally top with a sprinkle of chocolate and serve immediately.
If you liked this coffee smoothie you may also like this Tofu Mocha Frappuccino!
Want access to our free Smoothie Library?
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy something from that link I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Live Eat Learn and for making these recipes possible! I originally posted this recipe on Amanda’s Cookin’!
Hi, I’m Sarah! We’re working our way through the easy vegetarian kitchen, one ingredient at a time. Learn more and follow along!
Join the Eatmail for exclusive recipes, meal ideas PLUS our FREE green smoothies eBook!