This Wake Me Up Coffee Smoothie has everything you need for a complete breakfast: whole grains, fruit, caffeine, and a dollop of protein if you’re feeling it.
Sometimes coffee is enough. But then somedays your 4 month old puppy wakes you up at 4:30am and insists on playing until she falls back asleep. So it’s safe to say, sometimes coffee doesn’t always cut it. And that, my friends, is why we have a coffee smoothie.
This coffee smoothie has everything you need to get from 0 to fully functioning adults in minutes – caffeine, whole grains, fruit, and even some nut butter!
Ingredients in the ultimate frozen coffee smoothie
- Chilled Coffee: Make coffee as you usually would, then chill it in the fridge for a few hours until cold. You can also make cold brew and use it here!
- Banana: For the best possible smoothie, peel, cut, and freeze your banana prior to making this smoothie. It will provide natural frostiness and sweetness!
- Oats: Rolled or instant oats add thickness and help to make this smoothie ultra filling.
- Milk: Feel free to use whatever milk you have on hand here.
- Nut Butter (Optional): For a punch of protein and healthy fats, add a spoonful of your favorite nut butter, like almond or peanut butter.
How to make this coffee smoothie
This one is too easy. You ready for the instructions?
- Blend everything together until smooth and creamy.
Variations of this coffee smoothie
- Vegan smoothie: Make this smoothie vegan easily by using plant-based milk.
- Smoothie without bananas: Make it without banana by subbing in 1/4 cup of coconut milk and adding a few ice cubes.
- More protein: Add protein to your smoothie by adding a spoonful of nut butter (like almond or peanut butter), or by adding a scoop of protein powder.
This healthy coffee smoothie is really the breakfast of possibilities, friends!
More healthy smoothie recipes to try
- Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie
- Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- Strawberry Watermelon Rind Smoothie
- Pink Power Beet Smoothie
- How to Make Green Smoothies
- 1 banana previously sliced and frozen
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee 120 mL, chilled
- ½ cup milk 120 mL, any variety
- ¼ cup rolled oats 25 g
- Optional: spoonful of nut butter
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth, adding more milk as necessary to reach a consistency to your liking. Serve immediately.