Fuel your morning with some sweet Strawberry Oatmeal. This dish is loaded with protein and is a great filling option. Garnish with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Something about a nutritious (and yummy) breakfast changes the course of your day. It gives you energy, keeps you full, and makes you feel full of pep and ready to tackle whatever the day brings. On mornings when I need a little extra of that so-called pep, I turn to something hearty like strawberry oatmeal.
This dish just totally seals the deal in all ways — it’s healthy, protein-rich, filling, satisfying, and sweet. What more could you want in a breakfast?
Another great thing about this recipe is that it’s versatile in that you can mix and match ingredients to get it just how you like it. Let’s dive in!
Ingredients in this strawberry oatmeal recipe
Strawberry oatmeal begins with a liquid base of milk and water, and then we add the oomph with the oats. Finally, we’ll add flavor by including sugar or honey, vanilla extract, and salt!
- Water: Start with 1 cup of water.
- Milk: Thicken up the oatmeal and add flavor by including 1 cup of milk. You can use any type here, from cow’s to almond or soy!
- Strawberries: Now for the most important ingredient – 3 cups of strawberries, chopped. Feel free to use fresh or frozen (and thawed).
- Oats: Add 1½ cups of rolled oats (learn all about oats + the different between instant and steel cut here).
- Sweetener: Sweeten things up by including 1 tablespoon of either sugar or honey.
- Vanilla Extract: Throw in ½ teaspoon vanilla for taste – this truly changes the game!
- Salt: Finally, a pinch of salt completes the recipe.
Be sure to use rolled oats, not to be confused with steelcut or instant. Because different variations of oats cook at different speeds (steelcut take longer and instant can get mushy), rolled oats are your best bet in a perfectly textured oatmeal.
As for the strawberries? Well, you do you! If raspberries or blueberries sound more like it, switch ’em out! And for a vegan meal, use a nut milk.
How to make strawberry oatmeal
One of my favorite things about strawberry oatmeal is how warm and cozy it tastes and feels! This is achieved by making it on the stove, letting all of the ingredients warm and blend together into oatmeal perfection.
Step 1: Blend the ingredients
In a blender, blitz together the water, milk, and 2 cups of the strawberries until evenly blended. Reserve the remaining 1 cup of strawberries for stirring in at the end.
Step 2: Cook
In a medium saucepan, combine the blended strawberry mixture and rolled oats. Set it over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the oats are cooked through (take a bite, they should be soft).
Step 3: Add the remaining ingredients
Stir in the remaining strawberries, sugar, vanilla, and salt, and serve warm.
Optional oatmeal additions
You can opt to add extra flavors by including some of these ingredients. Almond slivers and cinnamon make oatmeal taste like magic, just saying!
- Almond slivers – 2 teaspoon
- Chopped nuts – 2 tablespoons
- Shredded coconut – 2 tablespoons
- Nutella – 2 teaspoon
- Peanut or nut butter – 2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – ¼ teaspoon
- 1 cup water 226 mL
- 1 cup milk 226 mL
- 3 cups chopped strawberries divided, 500 g
- 1½ cups rolled oats 570 g
- 1 Tbsp sugar or honey 15 g
- ½ tsp vanilla extract 2 mL
- Pinch of salt
- Blend: In a blender, blitz together water, milk, and 2 cups of the strawberries until evenly blended. Reserve the remaining 1 cup of strawberries.
- Cook: In a medium saucepan, combine blended strawberry mixture and rolled oats. Set over medium and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed and oats are cooked through (take a bite, they should be soft).
- Serve: Stir in remaining strawberries, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Serve warm.