Cucumber Sushi Rolls
These Cucumber Sushi Rolls are an easy and refreshing way to enjoy vegetarian sushi, without all the hassle!
I’ll admit up front, I’m not a huge fan of cucumbers. Something about them has just never boded well for me. Which is why they’re this week’s spotlight ingredient, a week in which I hope to turn around around my distaste for these crunchy green gourds.
But once upon a time I also had a strong distaste for sushi, a distaste quickly alleviated by my discovery of avocado veggie rolls and spicy mayo. So what better way to ring in cucumber week than with a fresh Cucumber Sushi Roll with avocado, bell pepper, and spicy mayo?
And the best part is, these are a lot more foolproof than regular sushi. You essentially just seed the cucumbers and create a tube in each, then stuff them with rice, avocado, and bell peppers. Gentle persistence is the key here. Gently compressing and adding and compressing until the cucumber is packed full.
Then all of your hard work pays off when you make that first cut and see the product of all that gentle persistence, a colorful, beautiful, tastiful slice of sushi.
Spruce it up with some soy sauce or, my favorite, spicy mayo. My like or dislike of a sushi restaurant has always been dependent on the quality of their spicy mayo. But depend no more! With my discovery of sriracha sauce a few weeks ago, I’ve learned the super simple secret to this sauce. 1 Tbsp light mayo + 1/2 tsp sriracha. That’s it.
Printable Version + Grocery List
Get a printable version of this recipe + a tailor made grocery list!
Cucumber Sushi Rolls
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 cup cooked rice white or brown
- 1/4 firm avocado cut into thin slices
- 1/4 red bell pepper matchstick, julienne cut
- 1/4 orange bell pepper matchstick, julienne cut
- Optional: you can also try adding julienne cut carrots, red cabbage, sprouts, or scallions
- 1 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- Cook rice by instructions on package. When finished, do not stir rice and allow it to cool. This should make for a stickier rice to hold everything together.
- Cut each cucumber in half and remove seeds with either a small spoon or knife to create a long, hollow tube.
- Spoon in a small amount of rice, then compress towards one side of the tube.
- Gently insert a slice of avocado and a few slices of pepper, then add more rice to fill gaps, compressing and adding more rice until packed full. Be gentle, especially if your avocado is ripe and soft!
- With a sharp knife, slice cucumber into 1 inch thick pieces (thinner if you're a daredevil). If you start to notice the filling is loose as you cut, stuff in some rice and peppers where needed.
- Serve with either low sodium soy sauce or spicy mayo. To make spicy mayo, mix 1 Tbsp mayo and 1/2 tsp sriracha.
Helpful products for these Cucumber Sushi Rolls