Portobello Mushroom Gyros
These vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Gyros are seasoned with Mediterranean spices, sauteed to meaty perfection, and drizzled with creamy tzatziki.
These vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Gyros are seasoned with a flavorful blend of Mediterranean spices and sautéed to meaty perfection, then drizzled with a quick homemade feta tzatziki and wrapped in pillowy pita (oh, and all in under 15 minutes). A delicious contender to the spot of “family favorite dinner”, right here guys!
The things about having a new spotlight ingredient every other week is I’m forced to confront my deepest food fears. The foods that I can just not do (lookin’ at you, tomatoes and mushrooms). But the thing about confronting your food arch nemeses? You learn to like them.
But to say I like these Portobello Mushroom Gyros would be an understatement. This vegetarian twist on gyros is the bee’s knees. The real deal. The perfect storm of flavors and tastiness.
The mushrooms give a meaty texture while soaking up all the Mediterranean spices we throw at them.
Drizzled with our favorite Feta Tzatziki Sauce and wrapped in pillowy pita, they’ve become a star player in our weeknight dinner lineup (right up next to Roasted Chickpea Gyros) (can you tell I have a thing for gyros?)
How to saute portobello mushrooms
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel (mushrooms are basically sponges, meaning soaking them in water will reduce the about of flavor they can soak up)
- Coat in a flavorful marinade
- Cook on the stove for just a few minutes (mushrooms will be dark brown, caramelized, but still a little firm)
Pair these gyros with:
Pair this vegetarian gyro with our favorite Mediterranean recipes!
Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Gyros
Portobello Gyro Filling
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- ¼ cup olive oil 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 30 mL
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp each oregano, smoked paprika, salt, pepper
- 4 large pita breads
- ½ cup feta tzatziki sauce cut tzatziki recipe in half if making it just for these gyros
- Extras: tomato, red onion, radishes, lettuce, feta
- Portobello gyro filling: Remove mushroom stems and clean caps with a wet paper towel. Cut into 1/4 inch slices. In a small bowl, stir together oil, soy, lemon, garlic, and spices. Toss to coat the mushrooms. Cook mushrooms in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, flipping to evenly cook. They should be slightly softened and deep brown when finished.
- Assemble: Spread tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then add mushroom gyro filling, veggies. and feta. Fold in half and dig in!
- Vegan: Make this recipe vegan by subbing the tzatziki for this vegan version.
- Cracked pitas? If your pita breads crack when you fold them, cover them with a moist paper towel and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Assemble gyros immediately after microwaving.
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time.