This refreshing Tofu Stuffed Cucumber Sushi Roll is a simple sushi method that involves hollowing out a cucumber, stuffing it with crispy tofu and veggies, and slicing into colorful pieces of vegetarian sushi! Served with almond butter awesome sauce for maximum tastiness.
Ever since we made the first simple prototype of cucumber sushi 119 blog years ago (that’s 3 years in normal human time), I’ve been itching to make a more substantial version of them.
Don’t get be wrong, the originals are really good. As a snack. Or side dish. Or lunch. But they’re really just vegetables wrapped up in more vegetables, and I wanted something with enough protein and gumption to make it a legitimate meal.
Then I whipped up our favorite almond butter awesome sauce to dip them in (also great with spring rolls!)
Then I packed them in a to-go container and we ate them in the airport for breakfast on our way to Barcelona (because when you’re in an airport, beer and sushi before 10am is totally acceptable) (I think).
- 1 16-oz block firm tofu 450 g
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp each salt, chili powder, and ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil 15 mL
- ½ cup uncooked sushi rice 100 g
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar 15 mL
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
Almond Butter Awesome Sauce
- 3 Tbsp almond butter 45 g
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp lime juice 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp honey 15 mL
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp hot water 15 mL, as needed
- 2 large cucumbers
- ¼ red bell pepper thinly sliced
- ¼ orange bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 green onions
- Crispy Tofu: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Pat tofu dry with paper towels, then cut into long ½ inch thick strips. Add to a bowl with the seasonings and gently rub to coat. Heat oil in a large oven-safe or cast iron skillet over medium/high. Add tofu and cook on all sides until crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer dish to the oven and cook until tofu is dry and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Rice: Cook rice according to instructions on package. When finished, don’t stir rice and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. In a small bowl combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt until sugar dissolves. Stir into rice.
- Sauce: Combine all “Sauce” ingredients in a small bowl, adding a dash of water as needed to create a smooth sauce. Set aside.
- Stuff: Cut each cucumber in half and remove seeds with either a small spoon or knife to create a long, hollow tube. Spoon in a small amount of rice, then compress towards one side of the tube with a knife or chopsticks. Add a piece of tofu, a piece of green onion, and fill in the remaining gaps with slices of bell pepper. Pack it as tightly as possible!
- Slice: With a sharp knife, slice cucumber into ½ inch thick pieces. If you start to notice the filling is loose as you cut, stuff in some rice and peppers where needed.