This Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dessert Hummus is a fast, healthy, and gluten-free way to indulge in your cookie dough craving!
Tulip-man likes to remind me often of “that one recipe I made that was soooo bad”. And that recipe that was sooo bad? My first try at making dessert hummus.
But the thing is, he was right. Dessert hummus goes against nature, so it needed some finessing to become the stuff of edible cookie dough dreams.
So rather than scrapping the recipe entirely, I sunk my teeth in. I was determined to make cookie dough hummus happen. And happen it did! So without further adieu, let’s hummus!
Dip apples and cinnamon crackers in it, or use it as a spread on toast (and we can’t rule out eating it by the spoon).
Ingredients for dessert hummus
- Chickpeas: You can use a can of chickpeas for ease, but I prefer soaking and cooking my own chickpeas for this recipe because they have a more neutral flavor. Canned chickpeas are often packed in brine which can make dessert hummus too salty.
- Tahini: Be it savory or sweet hummus, tahini is the next most important ingredient! It’s a smooth paste made from sesame seeds (find it in the international aisle of the grocery store).
- Vanilla: We’ll add a dash of vanilla extract to bring out the sweetness.
- White Chocolate: Melted white chocolate adds creamy sweetness, transforming the humble chickpea into chickpea cookie dough!
- Dark Chocolate: Finally, the chocolate chips! You can use dark or semi-sweet chocolate, either chips, chunks, or roughly chopped (I can’t get chocolate chips over here in Europe, so roughly chopped it is!)
How to make this chickpea cookie dough
To make this Cookie Dough Hummus you’ll just need a food processor! Blitz the chickpeas, tahini, and vanilla until smooth, adding a splash of water as needed to get things moving. Once it’s creamy stir (or blitz) in the melted white chocolate. Stir in your chocolate. Devour. The end.
Now you could eat this protein-packed chickpea cookie dough with a spoon (and no one can judge you for it!) but it’s also great with sliced apples, crackers, or spread onto toast.
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas* 425 g
- ¼ cup tahini 60 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 2-3 Tbsp water 30 to 45 mL
- ¾ cup chopped white chocolate melted, 125 g
- ½ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks, 85 g
- Blend: In a food processor, combine chickpeas, tahini, and vanilla. Add water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture is well-blended and creamy.
- Chocolate: Stir melted white chocolate into chickpea mixture. If mixture becomes less fluffy (or a bit gluey), blitz it in the food processor a few times. Cool hummus if it is warm, then stir in chocolate chips.
- Serve: For best results, refrigerate for an hour before serving. Serve cold with apples, crackers, toast, or spoons!