20 Minute Taco Soup
I am about to impart on you the recipe to my favorite comfort food. My Mama’s own, award winning, super fast, one of a kind…TACO SOUP!
Since before I can remember, taco soup has been our family staple, its warmth getting us through long Alaskan winters, and its simplicity getting me through the cook-less college days. This was one of the first recipes published here on Live Eat Learn, back when I shared non-vegetarian recipes, and when my photography was pretty meh. So today I’m reviving this popular recipe with some new glamor shots and plant-based protein!
How to Make Taco Soup Video
Ingredients for taco soup
We’ll start with a lot of cans. Corn, black or kidney beans, kidney beans, Rotel tomatoes, and diced or stewed tomatoes.
And finally, your protein of choice: tofu, tempeh, turkey, or beef (we’re using tofu!)
How to make healthy taco soup
Start up the skillet and start cooking the tofu. While that’s going, mix all the cans and Ranch seasoning together in a big pot and set on medium heat. Don’t drain the cans! Just throw it all in. Then head back to the tofu. I like to chop it up a bit with the spatula. When I was little, I would always try to get the taco meat really fine so it could be “just like Taco Bell meat!” Apparently Taco Bell was my reference for good Mexican food.
Once the tofu has browned, mix in the taco seasoning, throw it in with everything else, put a lid on it, and let her simmer for a few minutes until everything is nice and warm. Badabing badaboom!
Some people would stop there, enjoy their Taco Soup, naked though it may be. But I like to dress it up a bit. Sprinkle on some shredded cheese, add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, and finish it with some crunched up some tortilla chips. Now THAT, is Mama’s Taco Soup.
How to make Taco Soup in a Crockpot
You can easily make this taco soup recipe in a slow cooker. Saute your protein just like in the stovetop recipe, but instead of combining everything in a large pot, throw it all into your Crockpot. Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
How to store taco soup
Taco soup will last for about one week in the fridge, though you can also freeze it! Store in individual portions in an airtight container or freezer-safe baggie. When ready to eat, simply reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
P.S. if you love this taco soup you’re also going to want to try this Tempeh Chili!
20 Minute Taco Soup
- 1 14-oz block firm tofu 400 g, or 1 lb ground meat
- 1 15-oz can Rotel tomatoes 425 g
- 1 15-oz can stewed or diced tomato 425 g
- 1 15-oz can corn 425 g
- 1 15-oz can pinto or black beans 425 g
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans 425 g
- 1 1-oz packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
- 1 1-oz packet taco seasoning
- Cook Protein: In a large saute pan, cook meat/tofu until browned, drain fat if necessary, and add taco seasoning, stirring to coat.
- Mix Everything: Mix all cans (don’t drain them) and Ranch seasoning in a large pot. Add in cooked, seasoned meat. Let sit on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soup is hot.
- Serve: Top with shredded cheese, sour cream/plain Greek yogurt, and crushed tortilla chips.
- Make taco soup in a slow cooker: Saute your protein just like in the stovetop recipe, but instead of combining everything in a large pot, throw it all into your Crockpot. Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Storage: Taco soup will last for about one week in the fridge, though you can also freeze it! Store in individual portions in an airtight container or freezer-safe baggie. When ready to eat, simply reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time.