Easy Chickpea Pot Pie
This Easy Chickpea Pot Pie is packed with a creamy vegetable filling and wrapped in a buttery crust (and best of all, you just need one pan to make it)! Your vegetarian dinner just got a lot less boring.
Moving to the Netherlands has made me seriously reconsider what I consider “pantry staples”. Things like condensed milk and cream of mushroom are just not gonna happen here (unless I want to pay an arm and a leg at the coveted “American Food Store” in Amsterdam). So I’ve slowly been working through my childhood favorites, finding ways to cut the impossible-to-find ingredients (like said cream of mushroom) which tend to be the less healthy choices anyways, and replace them with the from-scratch basics.
And obviously with my well-documented love of chickpeas combined with their delicious ability to replace chicken, I was bound to throw them in a vegetarian pot pie eventually. It’s just that … I didn’t think it would be this tasty.
I’m talking SO GOOD, guys! The filling is rich and creamy and filled with vegetables (while also not feeling like *bleh gotta eat these vegetables*), and we’re topping it with the most buttery, flaky homemade crust (though you could also use a store bought)!
And the best part? This is all happening in the cast iron skillet! You could definitely use a regular dish if you want, but the cast iron is going to keep this recipe to one pan. ONE PAN!
Easy Chickpea Pot Pie
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion 1/2 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped carrots about 1 large carrot
- 1/2 cup corn 90 g
- 1/2 cup chopped celery about 1 stalk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas 180 g
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter 70 g
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 70 g
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth 473 mL
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 120 mL
- 2 14-oz cans chickpeas 425 g, drained
- 1 puff pastry dough (best ever homemade version here) thawed
- 1 egg whisked
- Veggies: Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, corn, and celery. Cook until veggies are tender and brightly colored (about 10 minutes). Stir in peas and remove from heat, transferring veggies to a bowl.
- Creamy Base: Melt butter in the cast iron over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, salt, and pepper, cooking until flour loses its floury smell and begins to tan. Gradually whisk in broth to form a thick sauce. Remove from heat and whisk to cool slightly, then add in cream.
- Bring it all together: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Stir in cooked veggies and chickpeas. Top with puff pastry crust, letting it hang over the edges of the skillet (optionally cutting cute shapes or slits into it). Brush with egg and set in the oven (put a large baking sheet on a rack below to protect against leaks, it’s going to bubble!) Bake for 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thanks so much for dropping by and for making vegetarian dinners like this Easy Chickpea Pot Pie possible!