Strawberry overnight oats are a quick and healthy breakfast that doubles as meal prep. You only need 8 simple ingredients and 5 minutes to throw these oats together.
Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits; we’ve done strawberry smoothies, strawberry popsicles, and strawberry French toast. They are so versatile and add brightness to any dish. So of course, I needed to make strawberry and cream overnight oats!
Reasons you’ll love these strawberry oats
- Quick to put together
- Packed with vitamins thanks to the strawberries
- Customize these overnight oats by adding chocolate chips or peanut butter
- Bright flavor from strawberries bring the summer flavor
Ingredients for Strawberry Overnight Oats
To make these strawberry oats, you only need a few pantry staple ingredients. We start with basic overnight oats ingredients and then infuse flavors with vanilla and enhance flavor with salt.
- Rolled Oats: Add ½ cup of rolled oats (learn all about oats + the difference between instant and steel cut).
- Milk: Thicken up the oatmeal and add flavor with milk. You can use any type here, from cow’s to almond to coconut!
- Yogurt: Yogurt also helps to thicken the oats, adds creaminess, and adds protein.
- Strawberries: Now for the most important ingredient – strawberries, chopped into bite-size pieces. Feel free to use fresh, frozen, or freeze-dried.
- Sweetener: Sweeten things up by including 1 tablespoon of either maple syrup or honey.
- Chia Seeds: 1 tablespoon of these will absorb the liquid and help the oats set.
- Vanilla Extract & Sea Salt: Both vanilla and sea salt help to hammer home the salted caramel flavor. Just be sure to use flaky sea salt.
Rolled oats vs instant
Rolled oats and instant oats absorb liquid differently due to their level of processing. Instant oats absorb liquid quicker and become mushy because they are broken down during processing. For this recipe, I recommend using rolled oats because they retain their texture while the oats sit and thicken.
How to make strawberries and cream overnight oats
One of my favorite things about overnight oats is how hearty, yet refreshing it is! This is achieved by packing in nutrient-dense ingredients and mixing them with fresh fruit.
- Mix everything together in the jar
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight
- Serve right out of the jar!
After trying out a bunch of different jars for overnight oats, these are my favorites!
To store these overnight oats, simply keep them in the sealed jars. They will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days but these are best the first day. Due to the moisture in strawberries, you may need to stir the oats the next day to reincorporate and liquid that’s separated.
- For The Milk, you can use plant-based milk to keep it vegan, use lactose-free milk, or use high-protein milk for added protein.
- For The Chia Seeds feel free to use ground flaxseeds.
- For the Yogurt, you can use vanilla or plain yogurt that is plant-based or from cow’s milk. If you use plain yogurt, you might want to add additional sweetener to counteract the bitterness of plain yogurt.
Can you use frozen Strawberries?
Yes, frozen strawberries can be used. You can put them in either thawed if you want to eat the oats after 2 hours. If they will be in the fridge overnight, you can put the frozen fruit directly in because it will thaw overnight.
Make It Your Own!
- Add Nuts like almonds for crunch or almond butter for extra creaminess
- Add Spices like cinnamon for extra warmth
- Blend the berries first with the milk to really infuse the strawberry flavor
More Overnight Oat Recipes You’ll Love
Want more delicious overnight oats? Try any of these other fruity oats recipes!
- Blueberry Overnight Oats taste like a blueberry muffin served in an adorable little jar!
- Pineapple Overnight Oats have tons of tropical flare that will take you straight to Island time.
- Peaches and Cream Overnight Oats are full of classic peach cobbler flavors but require way less work.
- Banana Bread Overnight Oats have warm notes of vanilla, cinnamon, and maple that will keep you cozy all year.
- ½ cup rolled oats 40 g
- ½ cup milk 120 mL
- ¼ cup chopped strawberries
- ¼ cup plain or vanilla yogurt 60 g
- 1 Tbsp honey or maple syrup 15 g
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds 7 g
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Assemble: Add all ingredients to a jar and stir to combine. Seal shut with a lid.
- Refrigerate: Set in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight, or until oats are soft.
- Serve: Serve chilled straight from the jar!