For a crunchy, cheesy, satisfying snack, try Pizza Roasted Chickpeas! With delicious basil and mozzarella toppings, these chickpeas are transformed into delicious mini pizzas in each and every bite.
Chickpeas are an absolute favorite in my household. They’re so versatile… kind of like the potato of the legume world! You can use them in soups, salads, and sandwiches, or you can eat them roasted with toppings and seasonings!
The latter is what we’re making today. But, let me warn you, these pizza roasted chickpeas aren’t just another bland healthy snack. They’re much, much more. These chickpeas contain so much flavor and are the perfect food to munch on or enjoy as a mid-afternoon snack.
Flavored with tomato paste, basil, and mozzarella (gotta have the mozz’!), these little peas are to die for. Eat ’em fresh out of the oven with yummy melted cheese for ultimate satisfying and coziness levels!
Here’s what you’ll need
Pizza roasted chickpeas are made exactly how you’d probably expect. We’ll be roasting them with olive oil and spices, and then adding typical pizza ingredients for the toppings! Grab your tomato paste, basil, and shredded mozzarella (the more the better, in my opinion), and let’s roast some chickpeas!
- Chickpeas: A can of chickpeas will be plenty for this recipe. Don’t forget to drain them!
- Olive Oil: Olive oil helps the chickpeas crisp up in the oven. Feel free to use any oil you have on hand!
- Oregano and Garlic Powder: Season with ½ tsp of oregano and garlic powder (each) for a yummy familiar pizza taste.
- Salt and Pepper: You can’t go wrong when you add a dash (¼ tsp each) of salt and pepper.
- Tomato Paste: We will need only 2 tbsp of tomato paste, as it goes a long way in flavoring the chickpeas. Tomato paste adds major savory flavor (without all the liquid of marinara sauce).
- Shredded Mozzarella: I like to use ½ cup of shredded mozzarella for that melty cheese goodness. You can sneak in a bit extra if you’d like.
- Basil: Finally, ¼ cup of fresh chopped basil adds the perfect amount of flavor and gives these chickpeas their signature taste.
How to make pizza roasted chickpeas
If you’ve ever roasted anything, you’ll be able to make these chickpeas with ease. Coat them in some oil and seasonings, throw them in the oven, and then add the toppings! It’s a simple 3-part recipe that is ready in 30 minutes or less.
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Drain the chickpeas and pat them dry with a few paper towels. Then, toss them together with the oil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 2: Bake the chickpeas
Next, spread the chickpeas onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until they’re slightly crispy.
Step 3: Add the final touches
Remove the chickpeas from the oven and add the tomato paste, mozzarella, and basil. Mix everything together on the baking sheet using a spatula. Place the tray back in the oven for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve warm!
The lowdown on chickpeas
One of the reasons I love chickpeas is because they’re a nutrient powerhouse. Just 2 ounces are packed with 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber as well as nutrients like iron and phosphorus. I sneak them into meals whenever I can!
Because they’re so nutrient rich, these chickpeas are a great snack and a wonderful alternative to regular processed potato chips. Plus, I think they taste way better too!
Also, as an added side note: No need to de-shell the chickpeas prior to roasting. You can, but this tends to be a time consuming step that isn’t totally necessary!
More chickpea recipes you’ll love
If you like the versatility of chickpeas and enjoy sneaking them into as many meals as possible, here are some ideas! (Or check out all of our chickpea recipes here).
- Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Easy Chickpea Pot Pie
- Roasted Beet and Chickpea Tacos
- Pumpkin Soup with Smoky Roasted Chickpeas
- Chickpea Corn Salad with Yogurt Dressing
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas 425 g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- ½ tsp each oregano and garlic powder
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Drain chickpeas and pat them dry with a few paper towels. Toss together with oil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bake: Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until slightly crispy.
- Pizza-fy: Remove from oven and add tomato paste, mozzarella, and basil, mixing together on the baking sheet using a spatula. Put it back in the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve warm!
Tips & Tricks
- Serve warm by itself, as a salad topper, in a sandwich, or alongside eggs!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.