Craving something crunchy and addictive? Crispy oven-roasted chickpeas are the best (and easiest) healthy snack. I’m sharing eight recipe variations with you, from sweet cinnamon-sugar roasted chickpeas to savory ranch chickpeas. Take your pick or make them all! Recipes ready within 30 minutes
Are you craving something crunchy and addictive? Do you have a can of long forgotten chickpeas sitting in your pantry? If you answered yes to any of the above then read on, because these flavorful roasted chickpeas are your solution!
Roasted chickpeas are one of my favorite chickpea recipes, and are probably the best thing I’ve discovered while conducting my questionable kitchen experiments in the name of being a nutritionist. I mean, mostly because they are tasty and addictive, but also because they:
- Can’t go wrong, if they could, I would have done it.
- Are forgiving; You know what they’ll taste like before you bake em…just taste the seasoning! And if it’s not quite right, just sprinkle more yums on when they come out of the oven
- Are healthy, packing in protein, fiber, and a bunch of nutrients (all about chickpea nutrition here!)
- Are the perfect vessel for herb and spice experimentation! I’ve included 8 ideas for you here, but feel free to play around! And if you fail, it’s okay because they…
- Are cheap! Less than a dollar a can!
Sow while this post used to contain a measly two chickpea flavors, we’ve taken it up a notch and added a bunch more to bring you 8 delicious roasted chickpea flavors you’ll love!
Chickpeas vs. Garbanzo?
P.S. Chickpeas are the same thing as garbanzo beans, but I’m calling chickpeas for simplicity’s sake!
How to make crispy chickpeas
To get the crispiest chickpeas, we’ll do a few things:
- Pat them ultra dry before roasting
- Toss them liberally with olive oil, which will help them crisp to golden perfection in the oven
- Roast with just oil (we’ll add the flavors after we cook them!)
And while we’re making oven-roasted chickpeas today, here’s how to make the best air fryer chickpeas!
Mexican Roasted Chickpeas
We’re kicking it off with a kick! With cumin, chili, garlic, and salt, these Mexican chickpeas are great on these vegetarian tacos, vegan nachos, or vegetable fajitas!
Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Chickpeas
Sweet chickpeas?! You read that right! Perfectly sweet with a hint of salt, these cinnamon sugar chickpeas may just be in my top 3!
Ranch Roasted Chickpeas
It wouldn’t be a roundup of our favorite chickpea flavors without America’s favorite seasoning – Ranch! You’ll just need a bit of Ranch seasoning (you know, from the packet of dry seasoning that’s used to make the dressing) along with some nutritional yeast for cheesy, savory flavor!
Italian Roasted Chickpeas
These are like our pizza roasted chickpeas, but you don’t need a fork to eat them! All the flavors you love from Mediterranean cooking, packed onto tasty little roasted garbanzo beans.
Curry Roasted Chickpeas
Skip the Indian takeout and satisfy your craving with these! We’ll use curry powder (for flavor), turmeric (for color and health), and salt + pepper to round things out!
Dorito Roasted Chickpeas
The ultimate after school snack! You won’t be able to put down this delicious blend of nutritional yeast and Mexican spices.
“Bacon” Roasted Chickpeas
All the sweet smokiness of bacon…made vegan! And put onto a chickpea. Even the bacon lovers will be a fan of this chickpea flavor!
BBQ Roasted Chickpeas
No need to sit out summer BBQs when you have these tasty garbanzos. They’re smoky and herby and pack a punch of flavor.
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp oil
Flavor Options (Choose 1)
- Mexican: 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp salt
- Cinnamon Sugar: 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp salt
- Ranch: 1 Tbsp ranch seasoning, 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Italian: 1 Tbsp grated parmesan, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, ¼ tsp salt
- Curry: 2 tsp curry powder, ½ tsp turmeric ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper
- Dorito: 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp salt
- Bacon: 2 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp liquid smoke, ¼ tsp salt
- BBQ: 2 tsp maple syrup 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Pat dry chickpeas with a paper towel, removing any skins that may come off.
- Bake: Toss chickpeas with oil. Spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Gently shake pan every ten minutes to rotate the peas and help them get an even toast.
- Flavor: While chickpeas are still piping hot, mix in the ingredients for your desired flavor. Transfer back to the pan and let cool slightly before chowing down.
Leave a Comment