Everything you need to know about chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans), including different varieties, uses, and nutrition information.
Confession: For a very long time I didn’t realize that chickpeas and garbanzo beans were the same thing. But then I discovered there is so much more to learn about chickpeas/garbanzo beans (/Bengal gram/Egyptian pea/chana/the list of names goes on). So let’s do some learning!
Types of Chickpeas
There are different varieties of chickpeas which vary by the plant itself, then there are varying forms you may find these legumes in your grocery. So first, here are a few varieties you may find around the world:
- Kabuli: Large and beige with a thin skin, these are increasingly common in American groceries. They have a mild nutty, creamy flavor.
- Desi: Small and dark with yellow interiors, these guys are most popular worldwide. They have a thicker, more nutritious seed coat than the Kabuli-type beans.
- Green: These are younger chickpeas with a sweet flavor, almost like green peas.
How to Buy Chickpeas
- Dried chickpeas: You may find dry chickpeas in the bulk section of your grocery or with the canned goods. These should be stored in an airtight container for up to a year. The longer they’re stored, the more moisture they’ll lose and the longer they’ll take to cook.
- Canned chickpeas: Canned chickpeas are pre-cooked chickpeas. You can eat canned chickpeas straight out of the can! Just be sure to rinse them off before chowing down to wash out excess sodium!
- Chickpea flour: Indian and Italian cuisines both incorporate chickpea flours into a lot of dishes, from curries to pastas! In fact, India is crazy about chickpeas and produces more than any other country in the world.
How to cook dried chickpeas
Cooking dried chickpeas is an affordable and easy way to get more chickpeas into your diet. Here’s how to transform your dried chickpeas into soft, edible deliciousness!
- Soak: Rinse and place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for 8 to 12 hours. This is going to help speed up the cooking time and, more importantly, make them more digestible.
- Cook: Once they’ve soaked, drain that water, throw them in a stock pot with more water, and simmer for about an hour, or until tender. Once cooked, chickpeas will stay good in the fridge for about three days.
How to Roast Chickpeas
- Flavor: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Pat dry chickpeas with paper towel, removing any skins that may come off. Gently toss chickpeas with oil (1 tablespoon per can of chickpeas) and any spices you like.
- Roast: Spread chickpeas onto a greased rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 20 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and a bit crispy.
Are chickpeas starch or protein?
Both! Chickpeas contain both starches and proteins. But while they may be a starch, they are a great source of fiber and have a lower glycemic index than it’s other starchy veggie counterparts (like potatoes).
What are chickpeas good for?
Chickpeas are a great source of fiber and plant-based protein, as well as load of nutrients, like folate and iron!
We love chickpeas here at Live Eat Learn. Here are a few of our favorite ways to cook with them (see all the chickpea recipes here):
- Roasted Chickpea Gyros
- Roasted Chickpea Stuffed Avocados
- Vegan Yumm Sauce
- Butternut Chickpea Hummus Wraps
- Flavored Hummus
- Cauliflower Soup with Crunchy Chickpea Topping
- Aquafaba Popsicles
Chickpea nutrition information
per 1 cup (164g) mature seeds, boiled without salt
- Calories: 269
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 12g, 50% Daily Value (DV)
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 4g
- 71% DV of Folate (Vitamin B9): A water-soluble vitamin that helps make DNA & RNA and metabolize amino acids.
- 28% DV of Phosphorus: A mineral that works with calcium to form calcium phosphate, the foundation of bones and teeth. Also plays a role in energy metabolism as part of ATP (adenosine triphosphate).
- 26% DV of Iron: A major component of hemoglobin, the proteins that make up red blood cells and carry oxygen around the body. This is a non-heme source, meaning it does not come from an animal. It is not absorbed as well as heme iron.
- 17% DV of Zinc: A mineral important in strengthening your immune system, healing wounds, and maintaining your sense of taste and smell.
- 13% DV of Thiamin (Vitamin B1): A water-soluble vitamin that turns your food (carbohydrates) into fuel (glucose). People at risk for deficiency include those with Crohn’s Disease, alcoholics, and those undergoing kidney dialysis.
- 11% DV of Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): A water-soluble vitamin that works behind the scenes as a coenzyme in many important reactions within your body, including protein metabolism and red blood cell formation, among countless other functions.
- 8% DV of Calcium: 1% of the calcium in your body plays a vital role in vascular contraction/dilation and nerve transmission and signaling. The other 99% supports teeth and bone structure and function.