Avocado crema is the best condiment to make for your taco night at home. The creaminess compliments any Mexican dish, and can help tone down the spice level!
This avocado cream may make you think of guacamole, but there are some big differences. There are no chunks here – no tomato or onion to crunch on. Just a smooth, silky green avocado cream sauce for the finishing touch! I think it’s even easier to whip up in a hurry because there’s no fancy knife work involved. Just drop the ingredients into the blender and go!
Avocado crema also isn’t spicy, like guacamole can sometimes be. Keeping a mild sauce means you can add it to any dish and have it complement nicely, whether your tacos are spicy or your burritos are mild (although we’ve included a way to make it spicy, if that’s your jam)!
The key ingredients for this luscious sauce are in the name: avocado + cream. We are getting our dairy in by using plain yogurt, but you can also use sour cream if you’d like. Make sure and stick with full fat for the best texture! Let’s cook.
Ingredients for Avocado Crema
The necessary ingredients are all super common and what you would pick up for Taco Tuesday. Perfect for the family or a party, definitely keep these on hand for all your favorite Mexican dishes!
- Avocado: Avocado goodness is the star of the show today! You’ll need 2 ripe avocados (give it a gentle squeeze – if it give a little, it’s ripe!). This recipe is great for using avocados that are on the brink of being overripe (you can also use frozen avocados here).
- Yogurt: This cultured dairy is easy on the tummy and helps smooth out the cream sauce. Make sure you pick up unflavored and unsweetened (or make your own yogurt at home!)
- Cilantro: This great herb adds bright color and a quick burst of flavor. Cilantro brings a lot of the flavor to this recipe, so if you’re in the camp of folks who hate cilantro, this recipe may not be for you.
- Lime Juice: Citrus brightens up your sauce and can help things from browning too quickly as well.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic is the way to go here!
- Salt: Just a touch of salt blends all the flavors together into a cohesive cream sauce.
Avocados not yet ripe? Pop them in a brown bag with a couple apples or bananas and they will ripen in no time! The gases from the ripening fruit will speed up the avocado. A little healthy competition never hurt anyone!
How to make Avocado Cream Sauce
Literally, five minutes is all it takes to be devouring this healthy dip. Avocados and yogurt bring a dose of healthy fats to the table and they are seasoned to perfection!
Step 1: Blend
One step – that’s it! Add all the ingredients to the jar of a blender and go. I do chop off the hard ends of the garlic cloves when I peel them, and obviously, you need to peel and pit your avocado, but that’s the only prep there is.
Feeling Sour? Substitute sour cream for yogurt in this dip. Whatever’s in your fridge is fair game. Both dairy products have a tang to them that works well. Without any added sugar, both are healthy options.
Dairy-Free: You can use vegan yogurt or sour cream here. Just be aware that depending on what base they use they will change the flavor some.
Make it Spicy: For a spicy avocado crema, throw in a seeded jalapeno! Or make chipotle avocado crema by adding 1 to 2 chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce).
Leftovers: I doubt you’ll have leftovers as the flavor will have you licking the bowl clean. But if you do, gently press some plastic wrap into the surface of the avocado crema before placing a lid on the container. This should help prevent browning.
Bright and Green: This avocado dip is best made right before eating. I am for making it before assembling my protein for the meal, giving it just enough time to fully chill in the fridge and let the flavors meld.
how to use avocado crema
This is the quintessential topping for all your favorite Mexican recipes.
- Set out a trio of dips with tortilla chips and fresh veggies for a refreshing summer party spread. Try serving avocado crema alongside Easy Mango Salsa and Mexican Bean Salad.
- Top your Mexican Sweet Potato Skins with this creamy sauce for even more layers of flavor.
Looking for super simple tacos? I like to combine textures and flavors when I assemble mine, so it’s perfect to spread avocado crema on a tortilla before sprinkling with Crispy Chickpeas. This way they won’t roll out the edges as you take a delicious bite! Add some Pico de Gallo for an authentic and simple meal.
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup plain yogurt can sub sour cream, 120 g
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro 20 g
- 2 Tbsp lime juice 30 mL
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- Blend: Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the container occasionally to ensure everything is mixed in.