Make Your Own Flavored Tortillas
Did you know you can make your own flavored tortillas? Not only is it insanely easy, but the possibilities are seriously endless. Today we’re making spinach, sun dried tomato, and roasted garlic flour tortillas! Homemade wraps and sandwich have never been so tasty.
Have I told you about how now that I’ve moved to Holland, one of the things I miss the very most about living in San Antonio is the Mexican food? I mean, there’s an itty bitty “international” section in our grocery store that squishes together the Indian/Chinese/Mexican/American (the American is primarily hotdogs and marshmallows). But I need Mexican food. Big, soft tortillas to stuff with beans and cheese and goodies.
And because no such tortillas exist (to my knowledge) within a hefty radius of me, we’re just gonna make them!
We’ve made homemade tortillas before on the blog, but today we’re taking it a step further. I’ve figured out the perfect formula to homemade flavored tortillas. You can make virtually any flavor you want, but today I’m sharing my three favorite: spinach, roasted garlic, and sun dried tomato!
How to make flavored tortillas
The recipe for these homemade flavored tortillas is simple, and you can add virtually any flavor you want! You’ll need:
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour for these pillowy flavored tortillas.
- Baking powder, salt, butter: A dash of baking powder helps to create that perfectly tender texture. Salt and butter further tenderize and add flavor!
- Flavor add-ins: You’ll need the equivalent of 1 cup of liquid, so blend your favorite ingredients with a bit of water until you reach 1 cup! It’s that simple.
How to make spinach tortillas
For spinach tortillas, you’ll just blend a handful of fresh spinach with warm water. This will be the liquid you mix into your flour.
How to make roasted garlic tortillas
You’ll need to roast the garlic, which is as simple as cutting the top off the garlic bulb, drizzling in oil, wrapping in aluminum foil, and throwing it in the oven. Once the garlic has become golden brown and caramelized, blend it with warm water and mix it into your flour!
How to make sun dried tomato tortillas
Simply blend together sun dried tomatoes with warm water! you can also add a pinch of your favorite flavors, like dried basil or cayenne.
Serve these flavored tortillas with these Mexican-inspired recipes:
Make Your Own Flavored Tortillas
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour 300 g
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder 12 g
- 1 tsp salt 5 g
- ½ cup unsalted butter 115 g, can sub vegetable shortening, room temperature
Flavor (choose one)
- For sun dried tomato flavor: ¾ cup (177 mL) warm water + ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes
- For spinach flavor: ½ cup (118 mL) warm water + ½ cup fresh spinach
- For roasted garlic flavor: 1 cup (236 mL) warm water + 1 bulb roasted garlic use cloves only
- Base: Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the room temperature butter and mix together with forks or a pastry cutter until dough forms loose crumbs.
- Flavor: To make flavor add-ins, blend together water + your flavor addition of choice to form a smooth liquid. If the blended mix is below 1 cup, add warm water to reach 1 cup total.
- Combine: Stir water + flavor mixture into the dough until a loose ball is formed. Transfer to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Rest: Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest 30 to 60 minutes.
- Cook: Cut ball into 16 pieces, form into balls, and roll out 6 to 8 inches. In a medium/high heat flat-bottomed pan, lay rolled dough and cook about 2 minutes. When bubbles have formed on top and bottom has light tan spots, flip and cook another minute. Adjust heat as needed to avoid burning. Wrap cooked tortillas in a towel until you’ve finished cooking them all
I originally published this recipe on Amanda’s Cookin’.