Mexican Street Corn Salad
This Mexican Street Corn Salad is a healthy, simple take on elote, the delicious Mexican street vendor version of corn on the cob!
When I lived in San Antonio, I was a quick walk away from The Pearl, a trendy neighborhood with a bangin’ Mexican street food restaurant. Which meant that at any point in time I was just 10 minutes away from a margarita/sangria slush and elote. Elote is a Mexican grilled corn on the cob that’s rolled in cotija cheese and slathered with a sour cream/mayo sauce. They’re heaven. But now that I live in Holland, I’m approximately 2718 minutes away from said slush + elote, which is naturally a bit of a problem.
So I set out to create my own! This is a healthy Mexican Street Corn Salad, the salad part meaning you can throw it on literally everything. Eggs, tacos, chips, toast, burritos, salad, spoon…they’re all perfect vessels with which to inhale this street corn salad.
Mexican Street Corn Salad Video
What is Mexican Street Corn?
Mexican street corn, or elote, is a grilled corn on the cob that’s slathered with a spiced sour cream/mayo sauce and rolled in crumbly cotija cheese. Mexican Street Corn Salad is a potluck-ready version of it, throwing in a few add-ins and lightening up the sauce with Greek yogurt!
Is Mexican Street Corn served hot or cold?
This salad is warm and delicious from the grilled corn when you first make it, but it can also be chilled and served cold (perfect for bringing to potlucks!)
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt *80 g
- 1 Tbsp lime juice 15 mL
- 1 tsp honey 5 mL
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Splash of oil
- 4 ears corn about 3 cups, 285 g of kernels, shucked and kernels removed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp lime juice 30 mL
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup canned black beans 200 g, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped red onion 35 g
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ cup cotija cheese 88 g, crumbled, can sub feta
- Mix all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large saute pan then add garlic and corn. Cook about 15 minutes, flipping frequently, until corn begins to char a bit. Gently toss with lime juice and salt.**
- In a large bowl, combine corn mix, black beans, pepper, onion, cilantro, and cheese. Drizzle sauce over and serve either warm or cold. Perfect over tacos, as a chip dip, or by itself!
**Alternatively, cook the ears of corn on the grill, then remove kernels and mix into garlic, lime juice, and salt.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy something from that link I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Live Eat Learn and for making these recipes possible!
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time. Read more