These vegetarian pulled “pork” mushroom tacos are loaded with adobo-spiced pulled mushrooms (which have the same texture and taste as pulled pork) and a fresh corn ceviche that adds sweet crunch. Best vegetarian taco recipe of all time? Quite possibly.
You all know how I’ve been *obsessed* with pulled “pork” mushrooms for a few weeks now, right? Well I’m coming at ya again with yet another way to use this magic stuff. Because it’s just so perfect on everything and I’m on a mission to prove it to you. So today, we taco.
The classic BBQ pulled mushroom we made a while back has you bake your shredded oyster mushrooms until crisp before tossing with BBQ sauce. We’re changing it up a bit today, dressing our shrooms with a spoonful of chipotle in adobo sauce to give that perfect hint of heat.
Then there’s the corn ceviche. Rather than cooking the corn, we’re going to leave it fresh and crunchy to add some contrast to our soon-to-be best ever vegetarian tacos. We’re taking a note of inspiration from Sprouted Kitchen, who’s herby fresh corn ceviche inspired the simple topping for these tacos. Ready for the best vegetarian tacos of your life?
Pulled Mushroom Filling
- 4 king oyster mushrooms*
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp each salt, cayenne pepper, cumin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp adobo sauce from a jar of chipotle peppers 15 g
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley 20 g
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion 40 g
- 1 medium jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 lime juice + zest
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 3 to 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese 60 g
- 1 avocado sliced
- 6 to 8 tortillas
- Shred Mushrooms: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Using two forks, shred the stems and caps roughly into pieces. Set on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake: Drizzle mushrooms with oil, spices, and garlic. Toss around to evenly coat the mushrooms, then bake for 20 minutes, or until mushrooms are a bit crispy and brown on the edges. Stir in the adobo to evenly coat.
- Corn Salad: Meanwhile, cut corn from the cob and toss to combine with all Corn Salad ingredients. Set aside to marinate.
- Assemble: Spoon warm pulled mushroom, corn salad, radishes, feta, and avocado onto tortillas and serve.