Easy Pickled Red Cabbage
Breaking down the basics of how to add delicious and tangy crunch to your life with this guide to easy Pickled Red Cabbage!
I’ve always held a general aversion towards pickles. Something about the flavor of them just does not do it for me. So I assumed all pickled things were the worst. That is until I moved to San Antonio for a while and fell in love with the pickled cabbages found on some of the best tacos in town.
Pickled cabbage adds crunch, color, and zesty flavor, and I didn’t realize how much I was missing out by swearing off all pickled things like I had my whole life!
So in the name of swaying all you other pickle-haters out of the dark side, today I’m breaking down the basics of easy Pickled Red Cabbage.
Ingredients for Pickled Red Cabbage
- Red Cabbage: Red cabbage is high in vitamin C and iron, making it an ultra-healthy choice. And, I mean, that color! 😍
- Vinegar: Use apple cider or red wine vinegar to soften the cabbage and bring that distinctive flavor.
- Seasonings: Finish it off with a quick blend of spices. I use sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper, but feel free to throw in your favorite dried herbs or spices!
How to make pickled cabbage
Making homemade pickled cabbage is so easy. You’ll just shred the cabbage, mix it together with our brine (a combination of vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper), then let it sit for at least 2 hours.
We won’t ferment this (like we would do with napa cabbage to make kimchi), but rather set it in the fridge where the flavors will continue to develop and soak into the cabbage.
What to do with pickled cabbage
Pickled cabbage is the perfect zingy condiment to all sorts of meals! Try sprinkling a handful of it onto:
Love Pickles? Be sure to try our other pickling recipes
- Pickled Onions
- Refrigerator (Cucumber) Pickles
- Pickled Radishes
- Spiced Pickled Grapes
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Pickle Any Veggie
Easy Pickled Red Cabbage
- ¼ of a red cabbage
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar 120 mL
- ½ cup water 120 mL
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Cut: Remove the core from the cabbage then shred with a mandolin slicer or knife.
- Pickle: Add cabbage to a large glass jar or bowl, along with all other ingredients. Seal jar and shake, or simply stir bowl and cover. Set on the counter for at least 2 hours (up to 6), shaking/stirring occasionally.
- Serve: Store tightly sealed in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks. Serve over salads, wraps, tacos, or burgers!