Sip on something naturally sweet and refreshing with this Healthy Date Shake. Made with only four ingredients and completely plant-based, it’s a fueling snack and a treat all in one!
If you’ve ever been to Palm Springs, you’ve probably had a date shake. An area classic, you can find them all over town!
Both the flavor and the refreshing feeling in each icy sip makes date shakes so addicting. I’ve had an intense craving lately, so I decided to whip out my blender and go to town.
Date shakes are usually made with ice cream, but we’re skipping that ingredient and making a lighter vegan rendition instead! So if you’re up for a healthy date shake, you’re in luck.
P.S. You know how when you add a banana to a smoothie, the entire smoothie gets overrun by that single flavor? Well don’t worry, because no bananas were included in the making of this date shake recipe!
Ingredients in this date shake
With only 4 different ingredients, making a date shake couldn’t be simpler. These measurements will make 2 servings – feel free to double or triple as needed!
- Almond Milk: To start, you’ll need about 2 cups of almond milk. This will be frozen into ice cubes to help the smoothie have an frosty consistency!
- Medjool Dates: As for the dates, you will need just 4. Be sure to pit them!
- Vanilla Extract: Throw in ¼ tsp of vanilla extract to level up the flavor of this shake.
- Cinnamon & Salt: For cozy salty cinnamon flavor, add a pinch of each!
- Almond Milk: Set aside a bit of extra almond milk to use as needed when blending.
How to make a healthy date shake
Making a healthy date shake couldn’t be easier or faster. It’s a two step recipe that requires no more than 5 minutes (apart from letting the ice cubes freeze over!).
Step 1: Freeze the milk
First, pour almond milk into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid. It will take about 4 hours.
Step 2: Blend everything together
Add the almond milk ice cubes, dates, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt to a blender. Slowly drizzle in almond milk as you blend (as needed), until you reach a smoothie consistency.
Switch things up with ice cream
I mentioned ice cream earlier in this post which may or may not having you thinking “well darn, I want the ice cream version!”
If that’s the case, feel free to throw some in! I recommend adding 1 scoop of your favorite vanilla flavor. If you want to keep it icy you can include the almond milk cubes, but if not, just leave those out!
Sip on these smoothies next
There are so many more flavors where this date shake recipe came from! Enjoy refreshing ingredients like watermelon, blueberries, and even sweet potatoes (😳) wrapped up into icy drinks.
- Strawberry Watermelon Rind Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Healthy Pumpkin Smoothie
- Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- 2 cups almond milk 472 mL
- 4 medjool dates pitted
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon and salt
- almond milk as needed
- Freeze: Pour almond milk into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid, about 4 hours.
- Blend: Add almond milk ice cubes, dates, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt to a blender. Slowly drizzle in almond milk as you blend, as needed, until you reach a smoothie consistency.