Sweet Potato Smoothie
Kiss summer goodbye and say hello to fall with this Sweet Potato Smoothie. Made with maple syrup, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin spice, it includes all of the flavors of fall!
As the air starts to cool and the leaves begin to take on the colors of the rainbow, there’s no denying it: fall is among us. And with fall comes the desire to get festive, so let’s start with smoothies!
We’re whipping up a delicious sweet potato smoothie that serves as the perfect transitional beverage from the icy berry smoothies of the summer to the warmer, cozier drinks of the fall.
To achieve maximum cozy fall flavor potential, we’ll be using sweet potato and pumpkin spice in this recipe. It’s guaranteed to get your mind into apple picking, pumpkin carving gear.
Sweet potato smoothie ingredients
This smoothie consists of as little as 6 simple ingredients. With a blend of sweet potato, banana, milk, maple syrup, pumpkin spice, and vanilla extract, we’re able to create a rich and creamy smoothie that’s absolutely perfect for the fall season.
- Sweet Potato: Not only do sweet potatoes taste great, they’re also full of rich nutrients. Just one cup provides healthy carbs, protein, fiber, and many different vitamins like Vitamin A, C, and B6.
- Banana: To achieve our desired icy, smoothie-esq consistency, add 1 sliced, frozen banana.
- Milk: You always need a bit of liquid in smoothies, so be sure to add ¼ to ½ cup of milk. Any type will work (cow’s or plant-based).
- Maple Syrup: For flavor and sweetness, add a drizzle of maple syrup. You can also use 2 medjool dates!
- Pumpkin Spice: Add 2 tsp of pumpkin spice for that yummy, on season flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: And finally, add ¼ tsp for the finishing touch in this sweet potato smoothie.
- Optional: Add a spoonful of nut butter, or a thumb of fresh ginger for extra flavor.
How to make delicious sweet potato smoothies
This recipe begins by cooking sweet potatoes in the microwave. It’s a quick and simple way to soften them and prepare them for the blender! Then, we’ll mix everything and add our toppings. In total, this recipe takes just 15 minutes.
Step 1: Prepare the potato
Optionally peel and then dice the potato. (I like to leave the peel on because it has extra fiber and nutrients!) Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender. Let cool before blending.
Step 2: Blend the ingredients
Add the cooked sweet potato and all of the remaining ingredients to a blender, then blitz until smooth. Start with ¼ cup milk, and add more as needed.
Optionally add a spoonful of nut butter (for a boost of healthy fat) or fresh ginger (for a fresh, zingy flavor).
Additional topping ideas
I included topped mine with a handful of granola, but the topping ideas don’t stop there! There are a number of ways to elevate this smoothie and add extra flavor and crunch. Here are some more delicious topping ideas!
- Nuts: Sprinkle chopped almonds, cashews, or even peanuts on top.
- Granola: Include your favorite granola by sprinkling some on top of your smoothie for extra crunch!
- Seeds: You can add hemp, chia, or even flax seeds to your smoothie for added nutrients.
- Cacao: Add a bit of chocolatey goodness with cacao nibs!
More recipes that use sweet potatoes
To get even further into the fall spirit, here are some more sweet potato recipes to enjoy! There are ideas for every occasion – desserts, quick dinners, and even Taco Tuesday!
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Sweet Potato Fettuccini in Gorgonzola Sauce
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup diced sweet potato about 1 medium potato
- 1 banana previously sliced and frozen
- ¼ to ½ cup milk can sub dairy-free, 60 to 120 mL
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or 2 medjool dates
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: spoonful of nut butter, a thumb of fresh ginger
- Potato: Optionally peel then dice the potato. Set in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes, until tender. Let cool before blending.
- Blend: Add cooked sweet potato and all remaining ingredients to a blender, then blitz until smooth. Start with ¼ cup milk, adding more as needed. Optionally add a spoonful of nut butter (for a boost of healthy fat) or fresh ginger (for fresh, zingy flavor). Serve immediately.