Carrot Smoothie with Ginger and Citrus
Give your body a health kick and your tastebuds a treat with this Carrot Smoothie with Ginger and Citrus. Made with only 6 ingredients, it’s an easy way to fuel up and feel refreshed all in one!
My go-to vegetable in smoothies is usually spinach. But for the days when I’m out of leafy greens, or just want to change things up, I go carrot!
And while you can totally throw a carrot into most smoothie flavors undetected, it’s especially great when paired with citrus and ginger! We’re talking feel-every-sip-on-your-tongue-for-maximum-flavor delicious. Like, you’ll want to savor each
The great thing about this smoothie is that while it’s satisfying all of your tastebuds with fruity, veggie, honey flavor, it’s also supplying your body with powerful nutrients.
So drink up, buttercup! Your body (and tastebuds) will thank you.
Here’s what you’ll need
When I decided to make this smoothie, I figured I’d have to play around with the ingredients to get the mixture right. I actually nailed it on the first try! The banana, carrot, orange, and ginger mixture got an upgrade with a dash of honey and some coconut water, and the rest is history.
- Banana: You always need an “oomph” ingredient in your smoothies, and for this recipe that ingredient is the banana. It adds sweet, creaminess and improves the mouthfeel. Be sure to slice and freeze it before you begin blending.
- Carrots: In order for this smoothie to live up to its name we have to add carrots! We’ll be using 1 cup chopped, which will amount to about 2 carrots.
- Orange: Peel and pith an orange to give this smoothie its citrusy touch.
- Honey: Gotta have a dash of something sweet! Honey is my go-to, but you could also use agave or sugar.
- Ginger: Fresh grated ginger brings zingy flavor.
- Liquid: Finally, add your liquid. You can use orange juice, coconut water, milk, or plain water.
- Optional Add-Ins: Get fancy with your choice of optional add-ins such as turmeric or pineapple.
How to make a smoothie with carrot
Tropical smoothie makin’ couldn’t be easier. For this recipe, all you’ll need to do is blend everything together! Just make sure that your banana is frozen beforehand, as it will be used to give the smoothie its icy consistency.
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
A few hours before blending, peel and slice the banana, then freeze. I like to keep a baggie full of frozen banana slices in the freezer for impromptu smoothies!
Step 2: Blend everything together
Add the frozen banana slices, carrot, orange, honey, and ginger to a blender. Blend, adding liquid as needed to reach a consistency to your liking. The amount of liquid you’ll need will depend on how juicy your orange is.
Optionally add any flavor add-ins you’d like to include, like turmeric (powder or fresh) or pineapple!
Tropical Smoothie Variations
Now, I haven’t tried these switcharoos, so don’t quote me on these. Just know that in theory, I think these swaps would be *chef’s kiss.*
- Grapefruit: Try adding grapefruit in place of the orange for something a little different! Because grapefruits are extra bitter, you may need a bit more honey.
- Mango: Try using mangos as your thickening fruit! This will work in place of the banana. You should still freeze them ahead of time to achieve that same icy texture.
More delicious smoothie flavors
I encourage you to drink your veggies! Smoothies are a great way to sneak extra greens into your diet. When made correctly, you can hardly even taste the veggies, as they’re camouflaged by sweet fruity flavors.
- Drink Your Veggies Smoothie
- Pumpkin Spice Smoothie
- Super Green Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie
- Gorilla Green Smoothie
Carrot Smoothie with Ginger and Citrus
- 1 banana previously sliced and frozen
- 1 cup chopped carrots about 2 carrots
- 1 orange peeled and pith removed
- 1 Tbsp honey use agave for vegan option
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- Liquid as needed orange juice, coconut water, milk, or water work well
- Optional Add-Ins: turmeric, pineapple
- Prep: A few hours before blending, peel and slice the banana, then freeze.
- Blend: Add frozen banana slices, carrot, orange, honey, and ginger. Blend if possible, adding liquid as needed to reach a consistency to your liking (amount will depend on how juicy your orange is). Optionally add in flavor add-ins, like turmeric (powder or fresh) or pineapple!