Keep things chilled, icy, and refreshing with this Cranberry Smoothie. Made with healthy ingredients like cranberries, oranges, bananas, and honey, it’s a healthy smoothie recipe sure to quench your thirst and leave you feeling rejuvenated!
It wouldn’t be fall kick-off without a cranberry recipe, now would it? While most cranberry recipes that come to mind for this time of year involve pastries and cookies and jellies, I wanted to give you a healthy reason to dig that bag of cranberries out of your freezer!
For today’s cranberry-infused rendition, we’re keeping things simple, refreshing, and fruity with a healthy cranberry smoothie recipe. It’s easy, it’s quick, and it uses all-natural ingredients.
So whether it’s your sunshiney way to wake up in the morning, or the hangover cure from your holiday feast, let’s blend!
Here’s what you’ll need
This smoothie consists of only five delicious ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your kitchen!
- Frozen Cranberries: We will be using 1 cup of frozen cranberries. Frozen is key, as this will give the smoothie its icy texture!*
- Oranges: Did you know that oranges are at their peak season in the winter? It’s no wonder they pair so well with cranberries! To add a bit of zing, add 2 oranges, pitted and with the piths removed.
- Banana: The sweetness of a banana will help to offset the bitterness of the cranberries while also giving the smoothie a creamy mouthfeel.
- Honey: To add a dash of natural sweet goodness, we’re adding a drizzle of honey. Make it vegan by using agave or maple syrup instead.
- Liquid: Finally, for the liquid element, you can use ½ cup of either orange juice, pomegranate juice, or water.
*If you don’t want to use frozen cranberries, either add a handful of ice cubes to slush things up, or use a frozen banana.
P.S. For the 21+ crowd, this smoothie totally tastes great with a splash of your favorite vodka or rum!
How to make this cranberry smoothie
To make your smoothie, simply blitz all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
After blending, serve up your smoothie immediately. These don’t do so well when stored, so drink up (though I’m sure that won’t be a problem)!
The low down on cranberry nutrition
Step aside, oranges, because cranberries are a great source of Vitamin C! We’re always told to drink our OJ to ensure that we’re good to go on Vitamin C, but there are other ways we can reach our daily intake goals!
One way is with a powerful little serving of cranberries. Just 1 cup contains 24% of your daily Vitamin C needs!
In addition to Vitamin C, cranberries are also a great source of fiber, healthy carbs, manganese, and copper. They’re loaded with antioxidants and are known to help blood pressure, stomach health, and hearth health!
More cranberry recipes you’ll love
Now that you know how powerful and nutritious cranberries are, you may be considering adding them to your diet in more than just beverages. Here are a few fun ways to include them in your meals and treats.
- Cranberry Bliss Bites
- Savory Roasted Cranberry Salsa with Pomegranate
- Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls
- Chocolate-Dipped Chewy Granola Bars (with Cranberry!)
- 1 cup frozen cranberries 100 g
- 2 oranges peel and pith removed
- 1 banana
- 1 Tbsp honey use agave or maple syrup for vegan option
- ½ cup liquid orange juice, pomegranate juice, or water, 120 mL
- Blitz all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Serve immediately.
- Add pineapple chunks, or use them to replace 1 or the oranges
- Add strawberries, or use them to replace some of the cranberries
- Replace the banana with vanilla Greek yogurt