This Mango Salsa recipe is a delightfully refreshing salsa that’s balanced with sweet mango, zingy onions, and spicy jalapeno. Serve it as a chip dip, taco topper, or salad sprucer-upper!
“Oh you fancy, huh?” That used to be my reaction when someone would make their own salsa. To me, it was a thing shrouded in mystery, so I fearfully and faithfully stuck by my store bought salsa.
But guess what? Making homemade salsa isn’t all that hard. In fact it’s not hard at all. It involves a little bit of choppin’ and a little bit of stirrin’ and a whole lot of eatin’.
“I am in loveee with this mango salsa! It was so amazing I even got my 11 year old to try it!” —Anna
Mango Salsa Ingredients
With just a few minutes of work you can have tasty homemade salsa that will make your friends be all, “oh you fancy”. Here’s what you’ll need to make this mango salsa:
- Mangoes: Antioxidant-rich mango is the star of the show in this salsa. It’s sweet without being overwhelming, and compliments the spicy pepper and zingy onion perfectly!
- Red Onion: Adds zing and flavor to help balance out the sweetness. You could also use another type of onion, like white or yellow.
- Bell Pepper: Use any color bell pepper you have on hand.
- Jalapeno: I use one jalapeno in this salsa, but you can add another for a more spicy mango salsa.
- Cilantro: It isn’t salsa without a heavy hand of fresh cilantro!
- Lime: Fresh lime juice, as opposed to bottled, will bring a lot more flavor and freshness to this salsa.
- Spices: We’ll finish it off with a bit of cumin and salt!
The most important step…
Letting salsa rest after making it allows the flavors to meld together and develop. During the resting period, the ingredients in the salsa have time to mingle and infuse their flavors, resulting in a more harmonious and balanced taste. This resting period also allows the ingredients to soften and release their juices, enhancing the overall texture and consistency of the salsa.
So, while it may be tempting to dig in right away, giving your salsa a little time to rest will greatly enhance its flavor and make it even more delicious!
How to use mango salsa
Mango salsa is great as a tortilla chip dip, but you can also use it as a condiment in many other dishes! I love to serve this mango salsa on tacos (like on these Tempeh Tacos) or on nachos (like these pulled “pork” nachos).
- 2 large mangoes peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lime juice or the juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- Stir: Chop all fruits and veggies, then combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Rest: For best results, cover and let sit for a few minutes in the refrigerator prior to serving to let flavors blend.