Mama’s Famous Bean Salad
This easy Bean Salad recipe is famous in our house, and for good reason! Quick to make, packed with flavor, and perfect for bringing to potlucks!
Ever since I can remember, my mom has always made this Mexican Bean Salad recipe for any sort of neighborhood party or cookout. Which is to say, this Bean Salad defines my childhood about as much as this Taco Soup does.
We always eat it as a dip with tortilla chips, but after making the recipe for myself for the first time, I was left with way more than little ole me could finish off alone.
But not being one to ever waste food, I experimented and found that this bean stuff can go in salads, tacos, quesadillas, omelets…you name it! So without further ado, Mama’s Famous Bean Salad!
Ingredients for Bean Salad
- Beans: All the beans! We’ll use a combo of red beans (either pinto or kidney) and black beans.
- Pepper: All the peppers! Jalapeno brings zing while red bell pepper adds crunch.
- Corn: Fresh, from a can, or even frozen. Anything goes!
- Onion: We’ll use red onions, but you could also use shallots.
- Cilantro: Negotiably the most important ingredient. Don’t skimp on this one!
- Vinegar dressing: Tying everything together with a quick spiced vinegar dressing.
And the best part about this bean salad is it somehow gets better over time. The beans marinate in the vinegar dressing, making for the most flavorful bowl of yum!
I love eating it as a chip dip, but you could also serve this Mexican-inspired bean salad with these Enchilada Quinoa Stuffed Peppers, spooned over these vegan “Pulled Pork” Nachos, or to add more flavor to Huevos Rancheros!
Mama’s Famous Bean Salad
- ½ cup white vinegar 120 mL
- ¼ cup vegetable oil 60 mL
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 15-oz cans pinto or kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can corn drained
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ medium red onion seeded and diced
- 2 jalapenos seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Dressing: Whisk together the Dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Salad: Toss together the Salad ingredients.
- Combine: Mix the dressing into the salad mixture. Cover and refrigerate for an hour to allow flavors to mix (can skip this step if necessary). Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time.