Sneak in your greens with a delicious and refreshing Apple Kale Smoothie. This tasty, icy drink is made with just an apple, some kale, a banana, and orange juice!
Nothing beats a refreshing and icy smoothie, especially when it sneaks in a serving of greens. It’s like a win-win: you get to enjoy a tasty drink, and your body gets to soak up all of those nice nutrients!
This smoothie uses only four ingredients to achieve a fruity flavor: 1 apple, 1 cup of orange juice, 1 cup of kale, and a banana. It’s perfect for starting your day with some healthy vitamins, but it’s also a great mid-afternoon snack or post-outdoors cool down treat!
You’re gonna want to add it to your go-to smoothie recipe list like, right now.
Ingredients in this apple and kale smoothie
We’re keeping the ingredients easy-peasy in this smoothie. Keep reading for some variations you may enjoy!
- Kale: First, start with 1 cup of chopped kale. Chopping it up first helps prevent any larger pieces from sneaking into the smoothie!
- Apple: Next, use 1 whole apple (but remove the core). You can use any variety.
- Banana: 1 previously sliced and frozen banana adds a thick iciness that makes this smoothie cool and refreshing.
- Orange Juice: Finally, 1 cup of orange juice helps the ingredients blend up well while also contributing a delicious tangy taste!
How to make an apple kale smoothie
This smoothie keeps things simple — just add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth! Enjoy immediately while cold for that refreshing flavor.
If you don’t have a pre-frozen banana, that’s a-okay! Simply add a handful of ice cubes in order to get that nice frosty consistency.
Switch it up a bit
I know the story: You find the perfect recipe to make, only to check your fridge and realize you’re missing just one key ingredient! The pain.
I like to include easy recipe variations just incase you find yourself in that situation! This smoothie has a few options:
- Kale: Not a leaf of kale in sight? You can use spinach or even collard greens! (Kale and spinach have similar nutrient profiles, but spinach has less flavor if you’re trying to “sneak” some greens into a smoothie!)
- Apple: If you don’t have an apple, turn it into a tropical smoothie with some mango or pineapple.
- Banana: Mangos can also work to sub the banana as they have a similarly thick consistency.
- Orange Juice: Finally, OJ can be subbed with essentially any fruit juice, like apple or pineapple!
More ways to enjoy your greens
Craving some more green-rich smoothies? Here are four more options that pack in the delicious flavor and keep the greens totally undetected.
- 1 cup chopped kale about a handful
- 1 apple any variety
- 1 banana previously sliced and frozen
- 1 cup orange juice 236 mL
- Blitz all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Serve immediately.