Sneak some powerhouse greens into your day with this delicious Collard Green Smoothie. You need only four ingredients: collard greens, banana, orange juice, and yogurt!
Smoothies are pretty much always a good idea. Need something icy and refreshing? Have a smoothie. Craving something sweet? Have a smoothie. Want to get your protein in? Have a smoothie. And today, I have the perfect solution for anyone who wants to sneak extra greens into their diet… have a smoothie!
This collard green smoothie is a four ingredient recipe that uses a handful of collards to brighten up the color and deliver a truly great flavor. And though using collards in smoothies does sound interesting, the end result is totally worth the tastebud risk. We pair the greens with a banana, yogurt, and a dash of orange juice for a sweet and tangy flavor!
Here’s what you’ll need
- Collard Greens: Start with 2 cups of collard greens. These form the bulk of the recipe and thicken up with the addition of the banana and yogurt!
- Banana: Next, use 1 whole banana. It should be previously sliced and frozen. Slicing it will help it blend easier, and a frozen banana will create a frosty consistency.
- Orange Juice: Add tanginess and flavor with 1 cup of orange juice.
- Vanilla Yogurt: Last but not least, 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt adds flavor and helps to thicken the recipe.
How to make a collard green smoothie
You can make this smoothie with your eyes closed. Simply blend all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth! If using an unfrozen banana, add 1/2 cup of ice to make the smoothie frosty.
Collard Green Smoothie Variations
Smoothies are pretty versatile, this one included. You can use frozen mango, strawberries, or blueberries if you don’t have a frozen banana on deck!
When it comes to the yogurt, vanilla is recommended but other flavors will work too. A banana flavored yogurt will enhance the banana-ness of the smoothie, and other options include strawberry and peach.
Collard green smoothie health benefits
Do you know why collards are such a great smoothie addition? Let the nutrients do the talking! Just a single serving of these greens loads you up with iron, Vitamin C, potassium, zinc, and Vitamin A. And get this — they even have protein!
More Smoothies to Try
Whether you’re looking for a way to start your morning with a protein-rich meal or you want to sneak in some greens or enjoy something fruity, there are so many Live Eat Learn smoothie ideas for you to try! Here are four to get you started.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Refreshing Watermelon Smoothie
- Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- Cherry Oat Smoothie
- Apple Kale Smoothie
- 2 cups chopped collard greens 2 oz, 60 g
- 1 banana previously sliced and frozen
- 1 cup orange juice 236 mL
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt 120 g
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.