Two-Toned Kale Smoothie Bowl
A healthy, two-toned super green kale smoothie bowl! Top it with fruit and eat with a spoon. Breakfast (in under 15 minutes) is served!
The boyfriend-tulip-man and I have been on a breakfast smoothie kick since I moved in. He’s one of those people that I just do not understand in that he never usually eats breakfast. How can people not eat/like/love breakfast? By no means do I consider myself a morning person, but good golly am I a breakfast person.
So obviously I had to mend this void in his life. And the solution? Smoothies. I’ve been whipping up green smoothies every morning in my sleepy haze. A handful of frozen kale or spinach, a pear, a banana, frozen berries, a dash of yogurt, a scoop of protein powder from the ungodly large tub he has stashed in our ungodly small kitchen, the works. Blend it up real quick and boom, breakfast for two + 1 serving of veggies + 2 servings of fruit taken care of before the sun rises.
My love of smoothies quickly spilled onto the blog. As of last week, all Live Eat Learn email subscribers will get a free, email-exclusive smoothie recipe with each newsletter! I send out the newsletter (eat-mail? yummail? what should I call it?) every Sunday with a roundup of the previous week’s recipes and posts + a peek into the next week + a FREE SMOOTHIE! No spam, no filling up your inbox, free smoothies. Sign up for the newsletter here!
But recently I came across the concept of smoothie bowls, basically just thicker smoothies, eaten in a bowl with a spoon, topped with fruit. Something about eating rather than drinking my breakfast makes me feel more satisfied, so this has been THE breakfast discovery of the century. Or like, of this week anyways.
And can we talk about how spankin’ cute these bowls are? There’s a small shop in Germany that sells them, and for years we’ve gawked through the store window every time we walked by. Anyways, Santa brought them for me this year and I love them dearly. You can check out the whole collection here.
But I digress. For these two-toned kale smoothie bowls you’ll basically just blend up a bunch of healthy noms, pour about half of the green smoothie into a cup, add blueberries to the reserve, and blend again, creating one green and one blue-ish/brown-ish smoothie (add more blueberries for a deeper color!).
Chia seeds do wonders for thickening up liquids. We’ll add 1/2 Tbsp to each smoothie to make them nice and thick.
Two-Toned Kale Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup packed chopped kale 50 g
- ½ cup packed chopped spinach 25 g
- 1 banana frozen if possible*
- ½ pear
- ¼ cup milk 60 mL, any flavorless variety
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds 6 g
- ½ cup blueberries 85 g, frozen if possible
- ice as needed
- banana, kiwi, almond slivers, pumpkin seeds, berries, coconut flakes, pomegranate, granola
- In blender, combine kale, spinach, banana, pear, and milk until smooth, adding ice if you’re not using frozen fruit until you reach a consistency of your liking.
- Pour a little more than half of the mixture into a large cup or bowl, leaving the remaining half in the blender.
- Add blueberries to blender and combine until smooth. Pour blueberry mixture into a separate large cup or bowl.
- Add ½ Tbsp of chia seeds into each smoothie and stir well. Let chill and thicken in refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Slowly and simultaneously pour each of the smoothies into a bowl, pouring into opposite sides of the bowl to create a two-toned effect. Makes enough for 2 medium-sized serving bowls.
- Top with fresh sliced fruit, nuts, and seeds.
*Be sure to remove peel from banana and chop into chunks before freezing.
Helpful products for these Kale Smoothie Bowls
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase something after clicking a link from this post, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Affiliate links help me to make Live Eat Learn possible!