Mexican Street Corn Salad
This Mexican Street Corn Salad is a healthy, simple take on elote, the delicious Mexican street vendor version of corn on the cob! Check out the video below or read on for the full recipe.
When I lived in San Antonio, I was a quick walk away from The Pearl, a trendy neighborhood with a bang on Mexican street food restaurant. Which meant that at any point in time I was just 10 minutes away from a margarita/sangria slush and elote. Elote is a Mexican grilled corn on the cob that’s rolled in cotija cheese and slathered with a sour cream/mayo sauce. They’re heaven. But now that I live in Holland, I’m approximately 2718 minutes away from said slush + elote, which is naturally a bit of a problem.
So I set out to create my own! This is a healthy Mexican Street Corn Salad, the salad part meaning you can throw it on literally everything. Eggs, tacos, chips, toast, burritos, salad, spoon…they’re all perfect vessels with which to inhale this street corn salad.
On another note, I’m in Paris! I’ll be spending the weekend racking up steps on the FitBit with the Ma and Pa as we tour (and eat) about the city. This is my 3rd or 4th time in Paris, so I’ve hit the big touristy places before. Anyone have suggestions for off the beaten path, must-see sights or tastes?
Mexican Street Corn Salad
This Mexican Street Corn Salad is a healthy, simple take on elote, the delicious Mexican street vendor version of corn on the cob!
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt *80 g
- 1 Tbsp lime juice 15 mL
- 1 tsp honey 5 mL
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Splash of oil
- 4 ears corn about 3 cups, 285 g of kernels, shucked and kernels removed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp lime juice 30 mL
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup canned black beans 200 g, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped red onion 35 g
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ cup cotija cheese 88 g, crumbled, can sub feta
- Mix all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large saute pan then add garlic and corn. Cook about 15 minutes, flipping frequently, until corn begins to char a bit. Gently toss with lime juice and salt.**
- In a large bowl, combine corn mix, black beans, pepper, onion, cilantro, and cheese. Drizzle sauce over and serve either warm or cold. Perfect over tacos, as a chip dip, or by itself!
*If using Greek yogurt, add a dash of milk to thin it out.
**Alternatively, cook the ears of corn on the grill, then remove kernels and mix into garlic, lime juice, and salt.
Get a printable version + grocery list sent to you!
Enter your info below and I’ll send you a printable version of this Mexican Street Corn Salad along with a tailor-made grocery list for you to take shopping with you!
Helpful products for this Mexican Street Corn Salad