Enjoy the intense, rich flavors of Truffle Popcorn during your next movie night! This easy recipe is made by microwaving kernels and adding flavor with nutritional yeast (or parmesan cheese), salt, and truffle oil!
What snack is fluffy and salty, leaves you feeling full, and pairs perfectly with your favorite movie? Popcorn, of course! But what’s even better than regular ol’ buttered popcorn is truffle popcorn: an intense, flavorful spin on everyone’s favorite movie viewing treat.
This popcorn is made using only three accompanying ingredients: truffle oil, salt, and your choice of cheesy flavor – either nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese. When it comes to choosing an oil, you can use white or black truffle oil, but white truffle oil is the way to go (if you can get your hands on it)! The flavors are more delicate and work really well with the popcorn.
I love to throw this together when I’m craving something crunchy and salty, and sometimes I even use it to make this Easy Pumpkin Soup (with popcorn croutons)!
What does truffle popcorn taste like?
Truffles generally taste similar to mushrooms in a nutty, earthy sort of way. But don’t let that scare you off, because this doesn’t taste like mushroom popcorn. Instead, it’s popcorn that tastes extra flavorful in a garlic-y kind of way. Plus, the nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese adds a cheesy factor that definitely doesn’t go unnoticed. The salt amplifies the flavor and brings everything together!
Ingredients in this truffle popcorn recipe
Making this popcorn is a simple and quick feat. It requires only 8 minutes total, making it perfect for prepping right before a movie session or for a quick starving-and-need-a-snack-ASAP bite! When grocery shopping, you’ll be able to spot truffle oil with the cooking oils (usually on the baking aisle).
- Popcorn Kernels: We’re starting from “scratch” with actual popcorn kernels. You’ll need ½ cup! Of course, you can always use an unflavored, unsalted, pre-popped version if desired.
- Truffle Oil: Add the delicious truffle flavor by using 2 tablespoons of truffle oil. Here’s a recipe to show you how to make truffle oil right at home!
- Nutritional Yeast: 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast or finely grated parmesan is going to add a cheesy edge that tastes incredible along with the oil.
- Salt: Last but not least, use ¼ teaspoon of salt to tie everything together.
Garlic lovers tip: For truffle and garlic popcorn, simply add ½ teaspoon of garlic powder!
How to make truffle popcorn
The truffle makin’ process is two quick steps: pop the kernels and add the flavor. Easy enough, right?! When cooking the kernels, skip the microwave’s “popcorn” button; they’re rarely accurate. Instead, just listen!
Step 1: Prepare the kernels
Place the kernels in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on high for about 3 minutes, or until almost all of the kernels have popped. You’ll know the popcorn is done when there is about 1 second between each “pop!”
Step 2: Add the seasonings
Add flavor by drizzling on the truffle oil and adding the nutritional yeast (or parmesan cheese) and salt. Toss to evenly coat each piece, and serve immediately.
Adding cheesy flavor
This recipe is all about the flavorings, and using nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese is a must! Nutritional yeast is a great vegan-friendly option. If vegetarian, you can use nutritional yeast, or look for a parmesan cheese that’s labeled as such. (Nope, parmesan isn’t technically vegetarian – who knew?!)
Because this popcorn is made with truffle oil, storing it in the refrigerator is recommended! This helps preserve the truffle flavor and keeps it tasting fresh.
Additional popcorn seasoning ideas
Mix and match your movie night with some of these popcorn flavoring ideas! This post includes seven different homemade seasonings that can be made with many of the spices and ingredients already in your pantry. Options include cinnamon sugar, ranch, gingerbread, and even taco!
Snack recipes that play well with popcorn
A movie night or snack session calls for a variety of flavors. No such event is complete without nachos, cookies, or dip!
- Chips: Snack on some tortilla chips, or go the healthier route with apple or kale varieties.
- Dip: Savory always wins, and this French Onion Dip is surely a winner.
- Nachos: Load up on flavor and heartiness with Vegan Nachos. They’re complete with BBQ “pulled pork!”
- Something sweet: Complete your snack lineup with Cookie Dough Hummus or Cookie Butter!
- ½ cup popcorn kernels 100 g
- 2 Tbsp truffle oil 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast or finely grated parmesan 18 g
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pop: Place kernels in a large, microwave safe bowl. Cover and cook on high for about 3 minutes, or until almost all of the kernels have popped (you'll know it's done when there is about 1 second between each "pop!").
- Season: Drizzle in the truffle oil, nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese, and salt. Toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately.