This healthy French Onion Dip recipe is made with protein-rich, creamy Greek yogurt and deeply caramelized onions. A fresh and flavorful chip dip that’s about to become your favorite!
Is there a better way to start our Greek Yogurt spotlight than with a healthy yogurt dip? Answer, no. Especially when that dip involves caramelized onions. And garlic. And potato chips.
That’s right, we’re talking French Onion Dip, friends! This classic dip is usually ladened with mayonnaise and sour cream, but today we’re giving it a healthy makeover by using thick Greek yogurt as the base.
The result is a rich, tangy dip that’s higher in protein and perfect for serving up at Superbowl parties and potlucks!
Healthy French Onion Dip Ingredients
- Onions: We’ll use yellow or white onions, caramelizing them with oil and a pinch of salt until deeply golden and delicious. ?swcfpc=1!
- Garlic: It’s about to be allium overload! We’ll throw minced garlic into the onions at the very end of caramelization.
- Greek Yogurt: Use the thickest Greek yogurt you can find (or strain it yourself) for an ultra-rich French onion dip. I prefer full-fat yogurt here, but you can also use lower fat varieties.
- Seasonings: Vegan Worcestershire sauce, salt, and white pepper round out the flavors, making this dip so addictive!
How to caramelize onions for French onion dip
Caramelizing onions brings out their naturally sweet, super delicious flavor. The only drawback is that is takes some time! Here’s how to caramelize onions for this healthy French Onion Dip:
- Slice onions into roughly quarter-inch thick slices.
- Heat oil over medium/low heat, preferably in a heavy-bottomed pan (like cast iron) which will help the onions cook evenly. Add onion to the pan and stir to evenly coat them with oil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt, which will draw out some of the moisture in the onions.
- Cook for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring every couple minutes, until onions are golden brown and caramelized.
Once your onions have caramelized, it’s as simple as stirring everything together and serving! I love serving this French Onion Dip with classic potato chips (how to make air fried potato chips) or sliced veggies.
Variations on this French Onion Dip
Cream Cheese: Adding a spoonful of cream cheese makes for a creamier, cheesier dip.
Mayonnaise: You can also add mayonnaise, which gives it a richer, less tangy flavor.
Herbs: Fresh chives and/or parsley are delicious stirred in or sprinkled on top!
More healthy dips you’ll love
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Easy Black Bean Dip
- World’s Best Tzatziki Sauce
- Spinach and Carrot Top Pesto
- Romesco Sauce
- Vegetarian Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 2 medium white or yellow onions sliced, about 2 cups
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt* 450 g
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce 5 mL
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Caramelize Onions: Heat oil over medium/low heat, preferably in a heavy-bottomed pan (like cast iron). Add onion, stirring to evenly coat with oil. Cook for 10 minutes, then sprinkle with salt. Continue cooking for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring every couple minutes, until onions are golden brown and caramelized.
- Add Garlic: Add garlic at the very end, cooking for just 2 or 3 minutes with the onions, then remove from heat. Roughly chop and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir: Combine cooled onion mixture with yogurt, Worcestershire, pepper, and salt in a medium bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Tips & Tricks
- Cream Cheese: Adding a spoonful of cream cheese makes for a creamier, cheesier dip.
- Mayonnaise: You can also add mayonnaise, which gives it a richer, less tangy flavor.
- Herbs: Fresh chives and/or parsley are delicious stirred in or sprinkled on top!
Leave a Comment