Turn your apples into crispy and delicious Oven Baked Apple Chips with this simple one-ingredient recipe. Just grab some apples, slice, and bake! Includes options for flavoring your homemade apple chips and for cooking them in the air fryer!
Alright everyone, autumn is upon us. There’s no more denying it — the changing trees prove it! Whether your fall plans include apple picking or not, oven baked apple chips are a must try. They couldn’t be simpler to make!
When cooked in the oven, these crispy baked apple slices cook in about an hour and a half. While they cool they get even crispier, which gives them a true chip texture.
They make the perfect snack for watching all of the fall movies, enjoying in the appetizer lineup on football Sunday, or taking along for your afternoon at the winery!
How to make oven baked apple chips
This baked apple chips recipe requires just 2 apples! No other ingredients needed. The apples can be any variety, so choose your favorite and let’s get started!
Step 1: Prep the apples
Slice the apples horizontally. They need to be as thin as possible, which is easiest to do if using a mandolin slicer.
Step 2: Bake the slices
Arrange the slices in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place it in the oven and set the temperature as low as your oven will go (I did 200°F, 93°C). Bake for 45 minutes, and then flip all of the chips and continue baking for another 45, or until crispy.
Step 3: Let them cool
Transfer the chips to a wire rack and let them cool completely (they’ll become crispier as they cool).
Step 4: Garnish and serve
Serve once cooled, optionally sprinkling with ground cinnamon.
How to use your air fryer
Itching to break out your air fryer? This is the perfect recipe for it! Air frying is an easy alternate method for turning your favorite apple variety into crispy chips.
- Arrange the apple slices in an even layer in the fryer.
- Place a metal rack on top of the slices to prevent them from flying around.
- Air fry at 300ºF (148ºC) for 15 minutes, flipping at least once throughout cooking.
This method is quick and easy and creates equally crispy and delicious chips!
Storing apple chips
Regardless of the cooking method, apple chips should be kept in an airtight container and enjoyed within 3 to 5 days. Place a paper towel in the container to help absorb moisture and prevent the chips form getting soggy.
More tasty apple recipes
Satisfy your sweet and savory cravings with four more tasty apple recipes. From lollipops and cider to oats and pies, you have options!
- 2 apples any variety
- Slice: Slice apples horizontally as thin as possible. This is easiest if using a mandolin slicer.
- Bake: Arrange slices in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the oven. Set temperature to as low as your oven will go (I did 200°F, 93°C). Bake for 45 minutes, then flip all the chips over and continue baking for another 45 minutes, or until crispy.
- Cool: Transfer chips to a wire rack to let them cool completely (they'll become more crispy as they cool).
- Serve: Serve once cooled, optionally sprinkling on ground cinnamon.
Tips & Tricks
An apple a day keeps the vet away. Or at least, that’s what Rhubarb thinks.