This easy pumpkin soup is topped with parmesan crisps and lightly salted popcorn, transforming simple soup into a fun and memorable dinner for holiday get-togethers.
When I was living in Europe, each trip back to the states would gift me with quality time spent with friends and family… and pumpkin puree. Lots of pumpkin puree. One one trip in particular, said puree pushed me 2 lbs over the suitcase weight limit. The gate agent must have seen the desperation in my eyes (desperation to not toss out my cans of Libby’s pumpkin), as she helped me pick out the heaviest things to cram into my carry-on, bringing my delicious treasure trove of a suitcase to an even 50.0 lbs.
So obviously I had to make sure that whatever I used my beloved cans of pumpkin on was not only foolproof, but really really good. The recipe I discovered was this easy pumpkin soup!
But you can probably tell by now that this isn’t just any soup. This is popcorn soup. Crispy parmesan soup. Soup that knows no limits and doesn’t take no for an answer. Soup that makes dinner fun again. So in the name of throwing together ingredients that shouldn’t technically go together (see also Coffee Tofu, Beer Pancakes, Banana Curry), I bring to you this Easy Pumpkin Soup with Parmesan Popcorn Crunch!
Ingredients in parmesan pumpkin soup
To make this soup, we’re using a pumpkin base with puree, veggie broth, and cream cheese, followed by the crunchy toppings!
- Olive Oil: Kick things off with 1 tablespoon of olive oil for sautéing the onion and garlic.
- Yellow Onion: From there, use 1 cup of finely chopped yellow onion (about 1 whole onion).
- Garlic: Use 2 cloves of minced garlic for delish flavor.
- Pumpkin Puree: Now comes the best part — the pumpkin puree. Use 2 15-oz cans (about 4 cups).
- Vegetable Broth: To thin out the soup, use 3 cups of veggie broth.
- Seasonings: Add flavor with 1 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon each of black pepper and smoked paprika.
- Cream Cheese: Last but not least, ¼ cup of cream cheese adds silky creaminess.
Parmesan and Popcorn Toppings
- Parmesan Cheese: Start the crunchy toppings with ½ cup of shredded parmesan!
- Popcorn: Use 4 delish cups of popped popcorn.
- Popcorn Seasoning: Finish things off with EVOO, salt, and pepper!
How to make This pumpkin soup
Step 1: Make the parmesan crisps
Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form heaping tablespoon-sized mounds of grated parmesan on the sheet. Flatten each mound slightly, then bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet until crispy.
Step 2: Prepare the soup
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sautéing until soft and fragrant (about 5 minutes).
Add the rest of the pumpkin soup ingredients except the cream cheese. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer.
Step 3: Add the cream cheese
Remove the soup from the heat then whisk in the cream cheese. For a completely smooth soup, use a handheld blender to puree the mixture (or carefully puree in a countertop blender).
Step 4: Add toppings and serve
Pop the popcorn and lightly coat with EVOO, salt, and pepper. Spoon the soup into bowls and top with parmesan crisps and popcorn.
How to make pumpkin soup with fresh pumpkins
You can make this easy pumpkin soup with fresh pumpkins! You’ll need 2 sugar pumpkins. Chop the tops off the pumpkins, cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds/stringy bits with a spoon.
Rub a touch of olive oil on the inside of each then place face down on a baking sheet and roast for about 1 hour at 350° degrees F (175° C), until fork tender. Scoop out the flesh and blend until smooth, then use it in place of the canned pumpkin in this recipe.
Try these pumpkin recipes next
You can’t go through the autumn season without exhausting every possible pumpkin recipe out there! Well, I guess you can, but I personally cannot. If you’re like me, you’ll want to try these recipes next!
- Spiced Pumpkin Oatmeal
- Healthy Pumpkin Smoothie
- Pumpkin Soup With Smoky Roasted Chickpeas
- Pumpkin Spiced Kombucha
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
Easy Pumpkin Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion about 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15-oz cans pumpkin puree 4 cups, 850 g
- 3 cups vegetable broth 720 mL
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup cream cheese about 2 oz, 50 g
Parmesan and Popcorn Toppings
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese 60 g
- 4 cups popped popcorn
- Popcorn seasoning: EVOO, salt, pepper
- Parmesan Crisps: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form heaping tablespoon-sized mounds of grated parmesan on the sheet. Flatten each mound slightly, then bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet until crispy.
- Pumpkin Soup: Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, sautéing until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add in the rest of the pumpkin soup ingredients except the cream cheese. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add Cream Cheese: Remove soup from heat then whisk in the cream cheese. For a completely smooth soup, use a handheld blender to puree the mixture (or carefully puree in a countertop blender).
- Serve: Pop popcorn and lightly coat with EVOO, salt, and pepper. Spoon soup into bowls. Top with parmesan crisps and popcorn.