Satisfy both sweet and savory cravings with this Roasted Brussels Sprout Salad. Made with hearty veggies, creamy feta, and fruity fillings alike, this is the perfect salad for enjoying during these cold months.
This salad is the brain child of the pool goers at my old apartment. While hunkering down through quarantine in Texas, I was sitting by the pool brainstorming recipes to make this fall (totally normal pool activity, right?). Which turned into a group of us brainstorming recipes for the fall.
And there were ingredients everyone kept coming back to. Brussels sprouts. Apples. Feta cheese. Nuts. Cranberries.
So I quite literally threw all of that together and this heavenly Roasted Brussels Sprout Salad was the result! Safe to say, this will be on my table this Thanksgiving.
Ingredients in Brussels sprout salad
Any salad that combines savory with fruity is a good salad. I mean, think about it. Pretty much every combo works. Blue cheese and raisins, granny smith apples and Gorgonzola cheese… the list goes on.
Between the savory (red onion, crumbled feta, sprouts), and the sweet and tangy (red apple, walnuts, dried cranberries), this salad creates such a tasty flavor combo, perfect for satisfying all sorts of cravings!
For the salad, we’re using delicious ingredients that are full of luscious, tangy flavor. We will start with 2 pounds of Brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved), and then we’ll mix that with sliced red onion, olive oil, salt, pepper, a red apple, chopped walnuts, crumbled feta, and dried cranberries.
The red onion and Brussels sprouts are roasted with the olive oil to achieve deep, pungent, savory flavors. It’s nothing short of mouth watering!
For the dressing, we’re keeping things tangy, savory, and sweet with a mixture of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup (my favorite part!), Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
How to make roasted Brussels sprout salad
This Brussels sprout salad recipe is a simple dish only requiring about 10 minutes of prep time. After cutting the sprouts in half and slicing the red onion, all that remains is a bit of baking and ingredient mixing!
Step 1: Roast the Brussels sprouts & red onion
First, preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C). Add the halved Brussels sprouts and sliced onion to a large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing around to evenly coat all of the sprouts and onions.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the sprouts are tender and a bit browned.
Step 2: Prepare the dressing
Next, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients to combine.
Step 3: Assemble the dish
Finally, toss together the cooked Brussels sprouts, onion, apple, walnuts, feta, and cranberries. Right before serving, drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat.
Let’s mix things up
If you’re thinking about additional sweet / savory combos to enjoy, here are a few that would actually work in this dish! When you inevitably make this a second, third, and even fourth time (because yes, it’s that delicious), here are some extra ideas to try.
- Swap the feta with blue cheese
- Include avocado slices
- Use a green apple instead
- Skip dried cranberries and throw in pomegranate arils
- Swap the walnuts with glazed pecans
More fall salads to enjoy
There are more ideas where this roasted Brussels sprout salad came from! Below are some more of my favorite fall salads. They’re perfect for including on Thanksgiving or simply enjoying for yummy fall flavorings (like pomegranate, sweet potato, and feta)!
- Fall Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Bulgur Salad with Feta and Pomegranate
- Israeli Couscous Salad with Beet and Feta
- Sweet Potato Salad with Quinoa and Hummus Dressing
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved, 900 g
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 red apple diced
- ½ cup walnuts roughly chopped, 60 g
- ½ cup crumbled feta 100 g
- ¼ cup dried cranberries 40 g
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup 15 mL
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard 5 g
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roast: Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Add halved Brussels sprouts and sliced onion to a large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing around to evenly coat all the sprouts and onions. Bake for 20 minutes, or until sprouts are tender and a bit browned.
- Dressing: Whisk together all dressing ingredients to combine.
- Assemble: Toss together cooked Brussels sprouts, onion, apple, walnuts, feta, and cranberries. Right before serving, drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.