With roasted sweet potato, fluffy quinoa, arugula, crumbled feta, and a quick hummus dressing, this warm Sweet Potato Salad recipe is a hearty side salad for serving up on any occasion.
Tis the season for all the salads! But not the leafy kind. We’re talking about the grainy kind. The hearty kind. The kind that are roasted in the oven and full of tasty surprises and make you feel all cozy and warm.
This roasted Sweet Potato Salad is a combination of some of my most favorite ingredients. Sweet potato, quinoa, and arugula make up a bulk of the salad. But then we throw in their best friends, feta cheese and red onions and raisins!
And if that isn’t tasty enough, we’ll tie it all together with a lemony hummus dressing (similar to what we did in these highly underrated Butternut Chickpea Wraps!)
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Salad
- Sweet Potato: We’ll roast the sweet potato into tender, caramelized perfection to create this warm grain salad.
- Quinoa: Quinoa adds nutrient-filled bulk to this salad. You could also use bulgur, couscous, or farro.
- Arugula: While the slightly spicy flavor of arugula does well here, you could also use kale, spinach, or whatever leafy green you have on hand.
- Flavor Makers: Feta cheese, raisins, red onion, and mint take this sweet potato salad to the next level.
- Hummus Dressing: Finish it off with a quick hummus dressing. Just combine hummus, lemon juice, and a touch of cold water!
Variations on this sweet potato salad
- Any orange veggie: Instead of sweet potato, you can sub butternut squash, pumpkin, or even carrot.
- Add nuts: Add some crunch by throwing in a handful of roughly chopped almonds or walnuts.
- Change up the cheese: Any tangy cheese works well here (like goat cheese!)
Serve this salad warm from the oven or at room temperature. As with most salads containing leafy greens, this Sweet Potato Salad does not store well and is best served right away. If you want to prep it in advance, you can cook everything before hand (roast the sweet potatoes, cook the quinoa), but hold off on mixing everything together until just before serving.
More vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes to try
Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 sweet potatoes can sub butternut squash or pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa 90 g
- 2 cups arugula 50 g
- ½ cup feta cheese cubed or crumbled, can sub goat cheese, 75 g
- ½ cup raisins 75 g
- ½ cup sliced red onion 75 g
- Handful fresh mint
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ cup hummus 100 g
- 1 tsp lemon juice 5 mL
- 1 to 2 tsp water 5 to 10 mL
- Roast: Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Peel and cube sweet potato. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle with oil, tossing to evenly coat. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until fork-tender.
- Quinoa: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil then add quinoa. Cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Dressing: Stir together hummus, lemon juice and water, and more water as needed to reach a thick sauce consistency.
- Assemble: Right before serving, toss together all salad ingredients. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.