This vibrant bulgur salad is packed with whole grains, herbs, and juicy pomegranate seeds! Toss it together for a quick and refreshing side dish.
You know how there are just some ingredients you never cook with? Ingredients that you’ve heard of, you know other people use regularly, but it’s just not in your routine of cooking?
For me, that ingredient was bulgur. Was it rice? Was it pasta? I didn’t understand the stuff, and thus didn’t cook with it.
Which is why a while back we spotlighted bulgur as a way of learning to cook with it, and the results were so easy and tasty and whole grainy! We made a Bulgur Breakfast Bake and Bulgur Falafel, but if there’s one recipe everyone associates bulgur with, it’s tabbouleh.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Bulgur: Bulgur is a type of whole wheat that has been cracked and partially pre-cooked. It is a good source of fiber, protein, and complex carbohydrates. In this recipe, bulgur is used as the base of the salad.
- Pomegranate Seeds: Pomegranate seeds are known for their antioxidant properties and add a juicy crunch to this salad. They are also a good source of vitamins C and K, fiber, and potassium.
- Feta Cheese: Feta cheese is a tangy, crumbly cheese that adds a salty flavor to the salad.
- Parsley: Parsley adds a fresh, slightly bitter flavor to the salad.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is used to make the dressing for the salad. It adds a tangy flavor and also helps to preserve the salad by preventing oxidation of the other ingredients.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is used in the dressing and adds a smooth, rich flavor to the salad. It is also a good source of healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Salt: Salt is used to enhance the flavor of the salad and bring out the natural flavors of the other ingredients.
What is tabbouleh?
Tabbouleh is a simple salad of chopped herbs and bulgur, and is the inspiration behind this Bulgur Salad with Feta and Pomegranate! At its core, tabbouleh is a quick salad typically made with bulgur wheat, fresh herbs, and chopped vegetables.
The bulgur salad we’re making today is less traditional, throwing in feta cheese and pomegranate seeds, making every bite a fiesta of flavor! For a more authentic tabbouleh, try out quick and easy tabouleh recipe!
How to make this bulgur salad
Step 1: Cook Bulgur
In a medium saucepan, combine the bulgur and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the bulgur is tender and the water is absorbed. Once cooked, remove from heat and let it sit for a few minutes to cool.
Step 2: Prep Salad
While the bulgur is cooking, chop the parsley, and crumble the feta cheese. Cut open a pomegranate and remove the seeds (not sure how to deseed a pomegranate? Here’s how!)
Step 3: Assemble
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked bulgur, parsley, pomegranate seeds, and crumbled feta cheese. Pour the dressing over the top and toss everything together until well combined. Add salt to taste.
- 1 cup bulgur 140 g
- 2 cups vegetable broth 480 mL
- ½ cup pomegranate arils 90 g
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint 5 g
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley 5 g
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese 25 g
- ¼ cup raisins 20 g
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice 15 mL
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- Cook Bulgur: Add bulgur and broth to a medium pot. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until bulgur is tender. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Prep Salad: Meanwhile deseed pomegranate, chop herbs, crumble feta.
- Serve: In a large bowl toss together all ingredients. Serve warm or chilled.